Halfords Carrera Crossfire e Battery cutting off...

Matty1989

Just Joined
Jan 3, 2018
Norwich
I have a crossfire e and it’s been nothing but trouble since day I got it, been back to the ever so unhelpful halfords many of time! Constant cutting out and coming up with EOO on screen. They have replaced the screen unit as that’s what they thought was faulty. I’m hoping for refund I ddon’t not want a replacement I’m going haibike route now...

Reactions: LeighPing

tarkatronic

Just Joined
Apr 7, 2017
Cheshire
I had done around 400 miles with no issues what so ever, then I suddenly got a E00 error onscreen and the bike has cut out five or six times. I cleaned the connectors on the display screen but I've only done 10 miles since then so too early to tell! I must agree with previous comments, I'd hate the bike to cut out when going up hill, could be very dangerous for me as I have to navigate a twisty steep up hill narrow road. Overall it's been a good bike but I'd like the peace of mind having a permanent fix on the cutting out!

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
This is turning into a scandal like the Kalkhoff Impulse bikes. I can't believe that Suntour and Halfords don't know the cause of the cut-outs after all this time. One would expect them to inform the branches about it, but everybody that takes theirs back gets treated as if they've never heard of it before.
Could it be cos its cheaper to not deal with it than it would be to fix all the unsold bikes? How many customers would just get fed up and dump it in the shed thereby solving a small part of a big problem?

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
...then I suddenly got a E00 error onscreen and the bike has cut out five or six times.
This is NOT the same error as experienced by some who get erratic cut-outs.

E00 is a "controller communication error" where the remedy is to remove the battery for 5 minutes, (probably best to wipe clean the display and battery contacts), then power on again. If that doesn't work, replace the controller and/or display.

The truly annoying problem with this bike is as another poster NewtSoup shows in her video here: The bike power just cuts out without any error code, warning, or explanation.

www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/faulty-ecarrera-crossfire.30229/

Old bones

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 11, 2018
This is happening to the Vulcan model. Mine is not a month old and has cut out 6 or 7 times mostly when i come to a stop then start off again. But by far the worst was in two lanes of moving traffic when the motor turned off and it felt like it was still engaged as i could hardly peddle it to the side of the road. Its back at the shop.

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Don't let anyone tell you that it's not faulty and it's your imagination. Halfords know about this problem and under pressure they admitted to me that it might be a 'problem with the magnetic clutch' - Not sure whether such a thing really exists in the Suntour hub, but I met a man with a Vulcan today who said he also has the 'pedalling through treacle' problem - or had until he discovered a broken mounting point in the sensor on the crank - he flipped the bike over to show me where he had secured it with a tiewrap and said that has cured that issue, but he still has had numerous battery cutouts, several where he has had to push the bike home. (I am so glad Halfords let me swap mine for the Crossfuse)
Mike

• Useful

Ninelives

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2008
Another to add to the list, my brand new Carrera Vulcan cut out 3 times on it's second ride , yep at a bad junction part way across . cars had to stop to let me get it moving to the other side , I also noticed the battery manufacture date on the cardboard battery box shows as nearly a 2 year old battery , waiting on a reply back from Halfords support , asking them to replace the complete bike or let me trade up to the next model with the mid mount motor

Old bones

Jul 11, 2018
Hi Nine . I got mine back a week ago. And haven't had time to use it much but if it cuts out one time while I'm ridding it it's going back and I will demand my money back. This bike can be very dangerous on the road.

• Agree

John Barnes

Just Joined
Jun 14, 2018
uk
I had the cutout issue on my vulcan a few weeks ago, noticed the readout was slightly loose so stuck some sticky liquorice type sealant under the thing, it's that stuff that stays sticky for years, readout is solid now but still can remove it.. seems to of sorted out my issue for now.

• :D
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Had to mark your post as ' Funny', just for the signature/disclaimer at the bottom of your posts.

My first thought was to say ' Wonder goal vs Brazil '.

How many times have you heard that one :D !

John Barnes

Just Joined
Jun 14, 2018
uk
Your the second person as far as i can remember, it used to be Peter b before him so I've had 40 years of cheesy one liners never gets old:)

Old bones

Jul 11, 2018
Shop recommended occasionally spraying contact cleaner on the contacts of the screen and battery. Did a off road 25 mile ride mainly off road and all good apart from the chain coming off 5 times.

it is i footpump

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2018
I spoke to someone last week who was just going into halfords, and had Carrera emtb had no cut out problems, but the saddle had broken 3 times.

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Started having random cutouts myself. Seems to be when I hit a bump, but then the bms will repeatedly shut it off several times before allowing it to work again like nothing was wrong

gbb

Jan 27, 2019
1300 miles on my Crossfire e...and touchwood, it does occasionally cut out, screen goes blank and no assist, I usually just press the 'on' button on the screen (while I'm still rolling) and it re starts....I guess in 1300 miles, it's happened maybe 10 or 20 times, not that often.
I've yet to take off the velcro and have a look at the motor connector... maybe in spring I'll give the whole thing a good clean and inspection, I'll be looking at the sensor on the crank as well, give everything a good look over.
Been very happy with it and I wished it didnt have this issue nagging in the background...,but then the option is to pay another £500 or so and get a Bosch powered bike. Not an easy choice is it ?

Reactions: egroover

JFS

Just Joined
Nov 17, 2020
I think I may have a fix for intermittent power loss. My Crossfire is about 2 years old and been mostly fine. Recently it started cutting out quite frequently - total power loss with no display. I removed the battery and tried to improve the contact pressure on the battery connector. I did this by taking a fine-bladed knife and gently pressing the battery contacts inwards to that they would make better contact with the contact blades on the battery mount. Since then I've done about 80 miles without a problem.

Probably won't work for everyone but easy to do and well worth a try.

• Useful
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If that has helped and cut outs have stopped then it might be an easy fix.
But for anyone else trying it I would say, please don't use any metallic object when poking round with the battery contacts. Use a non metallic wooden or plastic tools for safety.