Halfords - coyote connect folding bike

MaxDaddy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 28, 2016
There's no computer or controller on this model that I can see. I would have to assume that the speed limit etc is all controlled from inside the motor. Can anyone confirm? So easy to hack because it's so simple! Extra battery pack in series here I come!

D

Deleted member 4366

If the motor no-load speed (wheel off the ground) is lower with an empty battery compared with a full one (75% to be exact), the speed is limited by the motor. That's fairly unusual though.

If the motor always spins to thye same speed, regardless of the state of charge of the battery, the speed is limited by the controller.

The controller sits in the compartment in the front of the battery. If it doesn't have the speed limit wires, you can replace it with a better controller that isn't speed limited.

MaxDaddy

Sep 28, 2016
If the motor no-load speed (wheel off the ground) is lower with an empty battery compared with a full one (75% to be exact), the speed is limited by the motor. That's fairly unusual though.

If the motor always spins to thye same speed, regardless of the state of charge of the battery, the speed is limited by the controller.

The controller sits in the compartment in the front of the battery. If it doesn't have the speed limit wires, you can replace it with a better controller that isn't speed limited.
Oh yeah I found it, there is a small compartment right in front of the battery. What a shame. There is no speed detection on the wheels though so it must be inside the motor.

Rudvr

Apr 3, 2022
Afternoon kind people. Hope you are well? I have the Coyote Connect (Halfords) I'm trying to remove the 15,5mph limit. Please I will add pictures of inside the controller in battery box. Would be nice to have the throttle as well though. Please advise which one to buy. many Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's a lishui brand controller, the wiring indicates no hacking.
If the display doesn't allow speed adjustment then it is pre set in the programming. The White cable/connector is the data/programming connection, only a dealer with software can alter it.

Reactions: Rudvr

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Throttle is probably the white connector, Y/B/R wiring.

Reactions: Rudvr

Rudvr

Apr 3, 2022
;)
Throttle is probably the white connector, Y/B/R wiring.
Throttle is now working. Thank you. What do you suggest about limit.. I've listed the bike for sale as I need more than 13 mph please.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It uses a speed controller and the 3 speeds are set by the pcb of the led display.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No idea.

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
On that bike? Highly unlikely.

However you should be getting more than 14mph out of it. My Mirider does just over 16mph before the assistance cuts off and it doesn't pulsate at that speed, the assistance just fades until it's gone by 16.5mph

l guess ebikes have come on a bit since yours was made. Maybe time for a new bike....

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Any idea how to stop the pulsating when I got over 14mph please
Could be that there is too sharp a cut out in and out of the speed control, rather than a fade as lightning described. If the pulsating goes away again when you pedal hard enough to get well over the cutoff speed that's probably the reason.

If that's not programmable in the controller the only options I can think of are a new controller (which might need new display as well), or just avoiding that speed

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
You could try a lower assistance mode, maybe 2 rather than 3

On my Kona the cutoff is a bit abrupt in the maximum power mode.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The bike in real affect doesn't have assistance modes the three levels are speed modes, each one having a differing max speed limit providing max current.
Mostly these three speed systems are basic with no user control over how they work.

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
Ah okay. So it's a bit different to mine then, l had seen these "3 speed" controllers and wondered how they worked.

On mine you set the assistance level and then you can ride it as fast as you want, with the assistance provided, up to 15.5mph

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
On mine you set the assistance level and then you can ride it as fast as you want, with the assistance provided, up to 15.5mph
That's one of the main reasons why your MiRider bike is 2 to 3 times the price of the Onebot S6 it's based on: It has a KT controller. The asker could likely easily change his basic speed controller to a KT for less than £100, which is all MiRider do.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ah okay. So it's a bit different to mine then, l had seen these "3 speed" controllers and wondered how they worked.

Yours uses current control which is nicer for the rider to use , it appears that CB has put the nail on the head if it uses a KT system. The riding experience is far better with current control, as you have mentioned one gets max speed in all three levels with the current/power differing. This option is much better as one selects how much of a nudge in the back one wants rather then having the shove/push all the time.

Any generic china bike that uses a crappy speed controller can be upgraded quite easily, if one is capable of doing so the job is fairly easy and can be done for about £100. Internal cable routing makes things a bit more awkward but not massively so as the original was done ok.

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
That's one of the main reasons why your MiRider bike is 2 to 3 times the price of the Onebot S6 it's based on: It has a KT controller. The asker could likely easily change his basic speed controller to a KT for less than £100, which is all MiRider do.
Yeah the Onebot is half the price.

However
There's more differences (between the Mirider and Onebot) than just the controller, my friend has the Onebot S6 and l've got the Mirider 1

The Mirider is just better all round, the brakes are better, the seat post has more adjustment, the saddle is better (although it looks the same) it has the boost button, the wiring is better, the battery has more capacity etc

That's not to say the Onebot isn't good. l need a second folding bike for the caravan as the Mirider is actually for my missus and l will probably get a Onebot as l don't fancy paying another £1500