HANDLEBAR EXTENDER

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
It will fit fine.

Just loosen the 2 Ahead Bracket screws. Slide off the bracket with handlebar attached and fit the extender.

I have one fitted on one of my bikes. Works a treat but make sure it's well tightened.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

The cap is used to set the steering head bearings, so fit the riser without clamping it. Do up the hex screw in the cap until the steering head doesn't rock when you push the bike back and forwards with the brake on. Don't do it too tight - just enough to remove the play. Tighten the clamp screws and check that the steering is completely free and not restricted by tension in the bearings.

JohnnyGM7LSI

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
Elgin Moray
The cap is used to set the steering head bearings, so fit the riser without clamping it. Do up the hex screw in the cap until the steering head doesn't rock when you push the bike back and forwards with the brake on. Don't do it too tight - just enough to remove the play. Tighten the clamp screws and check that the steering is completely free and not restricted by tension in the bearings.
Great, cheers for that D8ve, informative as usual.

• Agree

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Just noticed it's from Hong Kong, long bloody wait, 25th jan / 6 mar
Risers are widely available from the stock of UK suppliers.

My local bike shop always keeps a couple in.

Might cost a pound or two more.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I like my bars high. My new regular bike bar height, before and after.

4.JPG DSC01172.JPG DSC01174.JPG

My bigger ebike, showing another option to raise the bars.

DSC00620.JPG DSC00610.JPG

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I put one of those stem risers on the Crossfire. It resulted in a comedy moment. I'd never worked on this type of handlebar stem before. I had the bike clamped in a workstand, undid the top bolt - and the forks fell out ! So there I am, in the kitchen, holding forks and handlebars trying not to scratch new paintwork or dink the kitchen floor. She who must came to my assistance with a tut and roll of the eyes.
However stem riser works fine. I prefer them to the angle adjusting ones as I find they can creak.

• :D

JohnnyGM7LSI

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
Elgin Moray
I put one of those stem risers on the Crossfire. It resulted in a comedy moment. I'd never worked on this type of handlebar stem before. I had the bike clamped in a workstand, undid the top bolt - and the forks fell out ! So there I am, in the kitchen, holding forks and handlebars trying not to scratch new paintwork or dink the kitchen floor. She who must came to my assistance with a tut and roll of the eyes.
However stem riser works fine. I prefer them to the angle adjusting ones as I find they can creak.
Pissin myself here, sounds like the kinda predicament I would get myself into, I use my age as an excuse.

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I like my bars high. My new regular bike bar height, before and after.

View attachment 17168 View attachment 17169 View attachment 17170

My bigger ebike, showing another option to raise the bars.

View attachment 17171 View attachment 17172
The adjustable stems - last two pics - do the job, but they have a safe operating angle.

In the last pic, you can see a white mark which shouldn't be pointing outside the 0-60 number range.

The stem is probably outside that zone in the pic with it fitted to the bike.

Does this matter?

Almost certainly not for steady road and cycle path use, but it's a genuine safety risk for anything more extreme.

• Useful

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Informative

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Oki doki, it wasn't lose when checked. It's always seemed solid in use, even extreme use. But, I've dropped the angle a few degrees and re-tightened it.

DSC01193.JPG

Reactions: RobF

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Oki doki, it wasn't lose when checked. It's always seemed solid in use, even extreme use. But, I've dropped the angle a few degrees and re-tightened it.

View attachment 17174
Good move, as I say it was unlikely to cause you any bother as it was, but it's daft to take the chance unless you absolutely have to.

• Agree

bonerp

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
You may need an additional spacer on the stem as some of these adjustable handlebar lifters are not quite as thick as the oe ones. If you don't add a spacer the forks will have play.

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk

• Agree

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I had mine high but lowered it again because, despite this bike being much bigger than the last one, it is a 47 cm frame where I need a 54 cm one. Raising the bars brought them back too close to the seat and I wasn't comfortable. All those years of riding with drop bars is also a psychological factor in preferred riding position.

210 € for 54cm frame, RST monoshock fork and Ritchey headset written into this years budget :)

• Agree