Hard tail or full sus

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Hardtail with 3" plus tyres? Cheaper, less weight to lift onto a bike rack, fewer moving parts to go wrong/ maintain, more grip, more stability IMHO
More stability?, not from my experience. Had many a hardtail which come with their advantages, but for all round do it all mountain biking imho you can't beat a full suss. I can cover rough terrain much more comfortably and quicker than my friend on his hardtail (he and i both agree to this). Tyres are only one aspect of this, psi vs width vs tubeless etc.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
a
Despite my absolute love and preference towards hardtails, that was the one aspect that I also didn't agree with.

Having said that though, that aspect has changed completely with plus size, and the difference certainly isn't what it was.
agree there will be some improvement, but on really rough fast stuff back end will still be twitchy:)

Bertyboy

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2017
Sussex
More stability?, not from my experience. Had many a hardtail which come with their advantages, but for all round do it all mountain biking imho you can't beat a full suss. I can cover rough terrain much more comfortably and quicker than my friend on his hardtail (he and i both agree to this). Tyres are only one aspect of this, psi vs width vs tubeless etc.
Hi Steve.
You may well be right. My first and last full suss was a Marin Rift Zone back in '98!
Just out of interest have you ridden a plus tyre set up yet? Certainly compared to my other hard tails it's a huge step up in traction and yes, comfort, though I'm sure it wouldn't be as good over more extreme rock gardens etc compared to full suss.
My thought was for the OP it was possibly a good half way house so to speak. The reason I went that route was lower cost, less maintenance, and lower weight (for when I have to lift it over a fence or onto the rack, and it feels like a tank (with the wider forks, tyres etc) over the terrain I will use it on (South Downs).
Despite the LBS trying to sell me a full suss and warning that I'd regret not, I haven't once so far! And I don't want a dropper post!!:)

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Hi Steve.
You may well be right. My first and last full suss was a Marin Rift Zone back in '98!
Just out of interest have you ridden a plus tyre set up yet? Certainly compared to my other hard tails it's a huge step up in traction and yes, comfort, though I'm sure it wouldn't be as good over more extreme rock gardens etc compared to full suss.
My thought was for the OP it was possibly a good half way house so to speak. The reason I went that route was lower cost, less maintenance, and lower weight (for when I have to lift it over a fence or onto the rack, and it feels like a tank (with the wider forks, tyres etc) over the terrain I will use it on (South Downs).
Despite the LBS trying to sell me a full suss and warning that I'd regret not, I haven't once so far! And I don't want a dropper post!!:)
Yes i've ridden plus sized and also a fat bike. I agree with you. The problem i had was two lower back operations, which meant i had no alternative but to go down the full suss route.

Bertyboy

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2017
Sussex
Yes i've ridden plus sized and also a fat bike. I agree with you. The problem i had was two lower back operations, which meant i had no alternative but to go down the full suss route.
Ah. I get that. I do have to make my knees and back do the suss work. Having only minor back issues my concern was lifting onto my Thule rack. In all honesty if I'd tried a Full Suss I would probably have gone that way, but the plus bike meant I got better components at the price I could spend.
Also the Plus tyres get me even more "cheat" abuse from passers by on the downs, which I just love...

Reactions: Steve A

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
Why not try a FS with lock out on the rear shock. Best of both worlds.
As I mostly ride Afan, brechfa, Cwm Rhaeadhr and the Beacons on both HT and FS non assist bikes I had to go FS.
If your worried about crash damage get insured, don't care if I crash, new bike time :)

Related Articles

Advertisers