Hardly Breaking news

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, I remember that from the time Tim. Stirling may have been right at the time but I don't think it could in in any way safe in the intended town use now, as some recumbent trike owners have found out the hard way. The factors I'm thinking of are the growth of high bonnet 4 x 4s and other high private vehicles, the very high cab artic tractor units with their notorious n/s blind spot, and the appalling state of many of our urban roads now. The conventional electric bike is so much safer in these respects, and can do much more than the C5 in terms of carrying child or luggage.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
I passed a chap on a recumbent on the A14 last Friday evening. He really wasn't very visible until the last 100 yds or so, a blink of an eye. Seeing how many lorries often lose concentration and swerve into the hard shoulder, it's not something I have a burning desire to experience!

Still my favourite Sir Clive invention (apart from the good old Speccy) is a the SeaScooter. There's nothing like being James Bond and going into the sea with one of those at a busy beach :)

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
well i liked the C5 thought it was a great idea

mind you i was one of those that bought

a BSA dandy
puch maxi
welder that should have worked with 2x 12volt batteries
8 track player
betamax recorder:eek:
the list goes on
and before anybody jumps in a powabyke:rolleyes:

come on lets hear about your mistakes everybody

mike

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
I've been trying to think of something positive to say about the C5 but the best I can do is to suggest that had it been launched into todays more environmentally aware and cycle friendly climate then it might have been better received.

Having said that I can think of few journeys that don't involve some travel on normal roads and the thought of being half the height of a truck wheel terrifies me. :eek:

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Disasters I have bought/befriended

come on lets hear about your mistakes everybody

mike
I never considered the Sinclair C5. I was a 'real' cyclist at the time.
My Mistakes?
Being a 'real' Cyclist
A Ford Pilot
A Kenwood Coffee grinder attachment for a K. Chef.
A Vice made in China that looked like a 'Record Vice'
Several Girl Friends (thank heaven for noms de plume)
A couple of male friends

I seem to have lived a charmed life or am I in denial?

Is one allowed to mention manufacturers/suppliers who contribute to this Forum? ;)

Peter

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Mistakes

I made many early purchasing mistakes attributed to youth in the usual manner.

I was called up into National Service and worse still, signed on and did six years ending up as a sergeant, something I'm far from proud of. I should have had the courage of my early pacifist convictions and told them to get stuffed, opting for prison instead if necessary.

But time and experience has reduced the mistakes to the barest of minimums, though I recently share the last mistake that Peter has alluded to, without either of us specifying it. Use your powers of deduction! :p