Has the Brakes and Loose Spokes Issue Been Resolved on the 2011 905se Models?

kevmull

Just Joined
Oct 12, 2011
As per title....

Has the Brakes and Loose Spokes Issue Been Resolved on the 2011 905se Models?

I hear this mentioned quite a lot on the forum.

I'm about to take the plunge and purchase the 905se (two in fact!) and would like to know if these common faults have now been rectified.

Thanks

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Hi Kev
I owned a 2009 Wisper SE Sport and once the brakes had bedded in, experienced no problems with them in over 2 years of ownership
When the bike was new the front disc took a few miles to settle down and I found the rear V Brakes did what was asked of them too
I think some of the early Wispers may have experienced some problems, but Wisper listened to customer feedback and were quick to respond - unlike many car manufacturers!

With regards to the spokes, the only problem I had was caused by a huge pothole, hidden under a puddle, which ended up denting and buckling the rim and loosening a few spokes in the process. The wheel was a write off and had to be replaced, but this was to do with the pothole and not Wisper

Hope this helps
Jason

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Difficult one to answer this as IMO they are still the weak points despite being much better than they used to be.
I had a 905SE in 2008 (I think), the wheels fell apart regularly and the brakes were terrible. Then I bought a 2010 906 Alpino and both wheels and brakes were much improved but still fairly weak. I know Wisper were working on changing the wheels again and to be fair the Shimano disk brakes are adequate so hopefully now it's pretty sorted.
You've reminded me I need to go and change a spoke at lunchtime in the front wheel. :) It's only the second spoke to break in the front so not abnormal, the back was a different matter and I got SJS to rebuild it pretty quickly.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Fixed the front spoke and noticed a broken one at the back as well, unfortunately it broke at the nipple so it's a tyre off job to fix. I've got Marathon Plus tyres fitted so tyre off is no mean feat and I'm going to wait until I can get it on the stand at the weekend.
The rear wheel has nothing to do with Wisper as it was rebuilt with a touring rim, unfortunately nobody can prevent all breakages.

Advertisers