Have I bought a Lemon?

JeremyColley

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 6, 2018
Hi all - first of all, thanks for letting me join the forum - as a newbie I'm looking forward to getting my e-bike up and running and perhaps on the way, some improvements.

This is a shameless cry for help. I've just bought a Freego Hawk from Halfords, who were having a clear out of their workshop. This was the most complete of a number of e-bikes they were selling (Carrera, Pendleton etc.), all were missing parts, but the Hawk looks fine. This probably sounds suspect, but I assure you it is not stolen and I have a receipt! I paid £125 for it and there's no key, no charger and it's as dead as a proverbial. There's no history with the bike, so it was either left there my a member of staff, brought in for repair and never collected or used as a loan cycle (unlikley)

Where do I start? I assume the battery is no longer any good - it's clearly been sitting in their warehouse for some time, judging by the amount of dust and dirt on it. I can by a new lock but I'm not sure how to get the old one out of the battery without breaking something. Lastly, should I buy a charger first? Or by a new battery with charger and keys from (where? eBay) - can I just put a generic battery in it? It has a 36v 10.4ah Samsung fitted and the number on the case is FRSHYSBSXSMO52 (is this the serial no of the ebike or the battery?)

Sorry about the long post

Jeremy (Norwich)

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
For the battery lock, try a locksmith or drill out the barrel yourself, that's probably what the smith would do. Then you'll need a digital volt meter and a camera for 'photo's. Then come back and start firing questions.
The motors are pretty bombproof, so worst case scenario is new battery plus new controller maybe some wiring to trace. Do not declare lemon status yet!

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Woah! One step at a time

Those battery are only held in place by a small piston that locks into a hole when. you turn the key

I lost my key and, using a screwdriver or two, was able to create enough leverage to remove the battery without damage.

That is the first step in my view.

I then took the barrel apart , removed the pins. This does mean the battery can be locked but with any key or a screwdriver (anything that's fits the key socket basically )

But I digress , step one is remove battery and test the voltage with a multimeter

Where are you based?

Edit - sorry, I see Norwich which is not near me !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree
Reactions: jwm

JeremyColley

Nov 6, 2018
Thanks for the replies. I'll try and get into the lock or if that fails, pry the battery free. I have a multimeter so when I've got the battery out, I'll post and let you know

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Thanks for the replies. I'll try and get into the lock or if that fails, pry the battery free. I have a multimeter so when I've got the battery out, I'll post and let you know
Sorry I was not clear

You need to pay the battery free first

then test voltage

Then there are options

You won't get into lock as it is without the key. You'll just cause damage . Once battery is free we have options. One of which is to remove the barrell and then remove the pins which make the lock unique to the key. No point though if the battery is dead as the proverbial dodo

JeremyColley

Nov 6, 2018
Hi KirstinS - right, I have removed the battery, opened it up, taken the lock out and removed the pins. I found a key which more or less fits - what next?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Ok, so the step before was to test the voltage of the battery

What's that please ?

JeremyColley

Nov 6, 2018
IT WORKS!! amazing. Thanks for the advice and help. I just need to get a charger and a new switch and I'm away. So - not a lemon, a peach...
I'm sooo pleased :)

Reactions: flecc and James63

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
IT WORKS!! amazing. Thanks for the advice and help. I just need to get a charger and a new switch and I'm away. So - not a lemon, a peach...
I'm sooo pleased :)
Brilliant, e-biking for under two hundred quid. Well done to yourself and Kirstin.

Reactions: JeremyColley

Advertisers