Headset Bearings and Forks for Oxygen MTB

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
Recently did a small upgrade on my Oxygen MTB as per title.

Before starting I contacted Oxygen for the bearing/sizes, got the sizes but they didn’t have them in stock ATM and after dismantling the forks used a Vernier to double check everything then did some research on the baffling subject of numerous headset types and sizes.
22 ball bearings
- ball diameter 5/32" (3.97mm)
- cage outer diameter 40 mm
- for oversize 1-1/8" headset

Fork crown seat OD: 30.015mm
Lower head tube ID: 52.1mm
Upper head tube ID: 44.00mm

Also, got a great bargain on fleabay for some new Rockshox Recon forks, not the ultimate but not the bottom of the range either so decided to replace the existing bearings completely and keep them on the original forks and not have to remove the crown race.
Bottom Bearing: Cane Creek 40-Series IS52-30 Bottom Assembly from CRC
Top Bearing: Cane Creek 40-Series ZS44-28.6 Top Assembly from CRC
Both for 1 1/8” steerer and includes top cap star nut etc.
Headset 1.JPG

Headset 2.JPG

Headset 3.JPG

Set the new forks up for my weight and rebound then went for test run with no problems.
The Rockshox fork steerer tube was 60mm longer than the Oxygen version which may be cut down after more runs, but for now I’ve set the stem halfway down with extra spacers on top.
Forks 2.JPG

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Thanks JP, saved me a big headache.
Ive ordered top from Wiggle and bottom from CRC due to neither having both in stock.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Whats the squiggly looking mudguard thing going down in front of the back wheel?

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
A strip of Lexan sheet, cut with scissors to fit around frame. chain etc, bolted to mudguard mounts, make it as long or short to suit - keeps front derailleur mech and cable clean without need for usual close-fit mudguards and stays.
Done the same on my partners Giant Anthem FS.
Stops muck and water going down the vertically operated FD outer cable hole.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Recently did a small upgrade on my Oxygen MTB as per title.

Before starting I contacted Oxygen for the bearing/sizes, got the sizes but they didn’t have them in stock ATM and after dismantling the forks used a Vernier to double check everything then did some research on the baffling subject of numerous headset types and sizes.
22 ball bearings
- ball diameter 5/32" (3.97mm)
- cage outer diameter 40 mm
- for oversize 1-1/8" headset

Fork crown seat OD: 30.015mm
Lower head tube ID: 52.1mm
Upper head tube ID: 44.00mm

Also, got a great bargain on fleabay for some new Rockshox Recon forks, not the ultimate but not the bottom of the range either so decided to replace the existing bearings completely and keep them on the original forks and not have to remove the crown race.
Bottom Bearing: Cane Creek 40-Series IS52-30 Bottom Assembly from CRC
Top Bearing: Cane Creek 40-Series ZS44-28.6 Top Assembly from CRC
Both for 1 1/8” steerer and includes top cap star nut etc.
View attachment 27439

View attachment 27440

View attachment 27441

Set the new forks up for my weight and rebound then went for test run with no problems.
The Rockshox fork steerer tube was 60mm longer than the Oxygen version which may be cut down after more runs, but for now I’ve set the stem halfway down with extra spacers on top.
View attachment 27442
Damn you’ve got some spacers on that headset .

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Fitted the new bearings today, not too difficult to do apart from balancing the bike on the stand to keep the front fork from bouncing completely out of the stem.

All seems nice and smooth again now, although it looks a bit odd on the bottom bearing... I'm sure you can't put them in the wrong way round....

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
That's not right, have you got 2 crown races on there?
I only put on what was in the box... But saying that, the fork tube looked chamfered where it met the fork... Should that be square? Maybe the chamfer was the old race?

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Yep... Googled some images of the forks... That chamfer must be part of the old bearing assembly..
I'll take it all apart in the morning and see about getting it off. It really looked like part of the tube....

Advertisers