Hello and help please! Bafang hub wiring issue

Elecmtb

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 1, 2017
London
Firstly hello all. I have been happily using my Bafang rear drive hub for the past 3 years with hardly any issues. However I foolishly lent the bike to a friend who managed to damage the wiring where it enters the hollow axle. I will try to attach a picture. It looks like a nightmare to fix but was wondering if anyone had experiance of this before or if it is a write off or may have knowedge of if the hub is still available? It is my main use of transport so is sorely missed right now.

Many thanks

Attachments

D

Deleted member 4366

I've repaired a few of those. You're right, it's a nightmare to do. You need to get hold of a connector from somewhere. Panda Bikes have the cable for £17.50:
https://www.pandaebikes.com/shop/extras/motor-cable-hall-effect-female-waterproof-male-waterproof-panda-pro/

Basically, you have to strip the motor right down. It's very hard to pull the rotor off the stator because of the magnets, and it's easy to damage the magnets when it goes back together. The magnet chips then grind between the two parts afterwards. When the rotor is separated from the stator, you have to carefully unsolder all the wires and pull them through the axle. Next, you have to thread the cable through, but it won't go round the corner. I shrunk some heatshrink over the end, which worked as a soft tongue to help guide it round, but it's still very difficult to pull it through. If you can get the wire through, you then strip the insulation, cut the wires to the right length and solder them. Finally, you have to put back all the insulation, which no longer fits because of your untidy soldering. Reassembly of the rest is easy apart from the chipping of the magnets, which means that you have to pull it all apart again to remove the chips.

I don't do it anymore. Bare motors are not too expensive, so you buy a new one and swap the cores. That's cheaper that buying a whole motor wheel.

When all that's sorted, it's time to think about a guard. All you need is some metal strip bent into a U shape with one end ground/filed out to a 12mm slot, so that you can slide it down behind the nut.

Elecmtb

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 1, 2017
London
Thanks daveh for the comprehensive guide. Whilst I will attempt it I am not overly hopefull I can manage it a successful repair.
You mention about bare motors, is this basically swopping all the internals of the hub out and then replacing them? Do you know where I can buy this?
Also due to time constraints, do you know of anywhere in the U.K yet that might sell a whole wheel which I can just swop over?.

I will post a wanted ad in the classified in the mean time in the hope someone has a spare one.

Thanks again.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
And don't lend your bike to a friend without him giving you a blank check to pay for damage! :D

• :D
Reactions: Elecmtb

Advertisers