Hello everyone

Vagos

Pedelecer
Dec 18, 2017
Greece
My name is Evan and I just builded a single speed ebike. Pics coming soon.
I used a 36v 250w geared front hub motor conversion kit, with a shark 36v 10ah battery.
The bike is an old steel road bike, converted into single speed.
The issues that came up during installation were...
-Fork dropouts too thin for the motor axle to fit, so I had to file a little bit.
-The frame didn't have bottle cage holders to mount the battery, so I drilled 2 holes on the downtube and fitted it there.
-The kit came with pedal assist sensor, but the connector is wrong and doesn't fit with the controller, so I'll have to send it back.
-One of the brake inhibitors had the wrong connector as well, so that goes back as well.
-The thumb throttle came with an extra plastic ring, but I didn't use it. Anyone knows what's that for? Because the throttle gets stuck sometimes and doesn't spring back up.
I took the bike for a test ride and i'm very pleased, even though the battery was at 50%.
Sorry for the long post. If I m at the wrong section, please move it to the correct one.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

The plastic ring is an optional spacer. When you have the throttle hard up against something, it prevents friction. It slots into the throttle in the side that moves.

I wouldn't waste time sending those things back. Once installed, you'll never need the connectors again, so cut them off and solder the wires together directly. If you ever do need to disconnect in the future, you can cut the wires, which is a lot quicker and easier than using a connector.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: Vagos and LeighPing

Vagos

Pedelecer
Dec 18, 2017
Greece
Thanks for the quick response. The thing is, the kit is brand new from a local dealer and I don't want to mess with warranty issues. Plus, bad things happen when I solder...
I will send them back, but I won't bother fitting the brake inhibitors. The throttle doesn't touch anything. Maybe I've tightened it to much.

Vagos

Pedelecer
Dec 18, 2017
Greece
Couple of quick pics, just finished assembling. Only thing left, is to get the correct pedal assist sensor and do something for the extra cables length.
IMG_20180429_221609.jpg IMG_20180429_221616.jpg IMG_20180429_221622.jpg IMG_20180429_221628.jpg IMG_20180429_221634.jpg

D

Deleted member 4366

It looks like you have the motor in upside-down. the cable should exit downwards.

D

Deleted member 4366

I can see now. It's the spoke in the photo that makes it look like it goes in the top.

Reactions: Vagos

Vagos

Pedelecer
Dec 18, 2017
Greece
I've decide to solder the correct connector on the pedal assist sensor. Do you know if the cables are just normal cables or a special solder is needed?