Hello everyone

moax

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 22, 2018
Hello everyone,

I have just changed from a Carrera Vanquish (disc) road bike to a Carrera Crossfire-E for my 17 mile commute (each way). I have used a Cycle To Work scheme (Cyclescheme) to fund it and wanted to stay in the £1000 limit which didn't leave many options.

I am mid forties and properly overweight (6ft,18st) and got back into cycling about 5 years ago to improve my health and fitness. Last year I managed to do up to 100 miles per week between commutes and leisure riding, and lost nearly a stone. I also have Crohns disease and for some reason found cycling has really helped. Most of my journeys have at least one pub on the way, which might also defeat the purpose but kept me interested :) So much so, I actually sold my fantastic Suzuki Bandit 1250 GT through lack of use!

However, between family, work and weather I haven't done half as much cycling this year which led me towards the e-bike purchase to get back into the habit.

Every bit of research I have done on e-bikes over the last few months always ends up leading me here! So I am glad to finally join properly.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hello & welcome to the forum Moax.
Just one bit of advice the hub drive Carrera's with the Suntour HESC system have had power issues which Halfrauds are aware of, if yours does develop an issue take it straight back for a refund and get a more reliable ride.
Members have had parts replaced to no avail and have tried various remedies to solve the issues which do not work.

moax

Aug 22, 2018
Thanks Nealh

Funny you should say that...

I've had it less than a week and had 2 cut outs already and one today on only my 2nd commute. I saw the mixed reviews but just hoped it had been fixed by now on newer models.

Its going back to Cycle Revolution next week for inspection/fixing but having read some posts on here, I think you're right and this is an inherent flaw that may never be fixed. I am not sure where I stand on a refund using Cyclescheme but I am going to find out.

Such a shame, its really nice to ride and great value for £1000...( Buy cheap, buy twice ;) )

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's not that it's cheap just that the HESC system is flawed. Woosh/Kudos & Wisper have bike around the same price range with better reliable electronics.

Reactions: moax

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
I am not sure where I stand on a refund using Cyclescheme but I am going to find out.
There should be absolutely no problem with refunding your voucher. It can take a few days but you will end up with a fresh voucher to use elsewhere. Your rights are exactly the same as any customer and you should not be out of pocket after you've returned the faulty bike.

Reactions: moax and oyster

moax

Aug 22, 2018
Thanks for the welcoming and helpful responses everyone,

I took my Crossfire-E back to Cycle Republic last week and I mentioned these issues were well known, which of course, they didn't agree with. They were however, friendly and helpful and seemed confident that replacing the display bracket would help.

No cuts outs in the +50 miles since the fix but I know there's people on here who've had all sorts replaced to no avail. My gut says that this will never be completely reliable, but I really enjoy riding it so I want to give it another chance.