Hello from another new member. Eagerly waiting delivery of an A2B Shima

speculatrix

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 18, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Hi,
I live near Cambridge, cycling city, and ordered my first e-bike for the 15 mile journey to work and back. It's downhill all the way there, but getting home can be a drag particularly after a hard day at the coal face!

I ordered an A2B Shima, one of their special offers.

I had wanted a more standard bike with crank motor, so as to have regular wheels, brakes, tyres etc, but this was too much of a bargain to pass over! Now I just need to get a really good lock, as my existing one is only really suitable for the cheap run-about I've been currently using.

all the best
Paul

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Hi,
I live near Cambridge, cycling city, and ordered my first e-bike for the 15 mile journey to work and back. It's downhill all the way there, but getting home can be a drag particularly after a hard day at the coal face!

I had wanted a more standard bike with crank motor, so as to have regular wheels, brakes, tyres etc, but this was too much of a bargain to pass over! Now I just need to get a really good lock, as my existing one is only really suitable for the cheap run-about I've been currently using.

all the best
Paul
http://www.ribblecycles.com/au/abus-granit-x-plus-540-lock/#pid=1755

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

speculatrix

Feb 18, 2017
Cambridgeshire
thanks for the recommendation on the lock.
someone sent me this link: http://www.soldsecure.com/search/
so I was able to verify that products on websites were correctly rated.

I ended up ordering a Kryptonite Evolution 4 chain/lock, and an OnGuard Pitbull Shackle U-Lock which comes with a cable for locking accessories. Hopefully by using them both I'll be safe.

I'm hoping the bike will arrive on Thursday.

speculatrix

Feb 18, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Ooh a speed pedelec. Welcome aboard. :)
thanks! I have worked out that even a good car journey into Cambridge only achieves 21 mph (approx 7 miles, 20 minutes), and on bad days it can be barely half that (8 miles, 40 minutes for an indirect route).

And that's only possible because my employer is happy for me to start and finish late (arrive about 0945, leave about 18:20) to avoid the traffic. If I had to be there by 0900, I'd have to allow 45 minutes to get there!

So I figure a Pedelec will allow me to achieve consistent journey times, and allow me to start and finish at more conventional times.

And anyway, soon I'll have no choice other than to cycle or take the bus, because we're moving offices and there will be no parking there!

• Informative

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hi,

all the best
Paul
15 miles per ,day or 30 miles per day. If the latter would be a good idea to install an additional charger at your office as batteries which are only partially discharged should last significantly longer and give you more zip on the way home as the voltage will be higher.

Reactions: speculatrix

speculatrix

Feb 18, 2017
Cambridgeshire
it's 15 per day, and thanks, yes, I will be keeping the battery topped up to prevent deep cycling it and thus hopefully maintain its life.

the A2B bikes have regenerative braking, an advantage of a hub motor.

Another thing that appealed is that A2B have adopted the EnergyBus standard, which might be useful in the future.
http://www.energybus.org/