Hello from Bedford

Steve N

Just Joined
Dec 5, 2017
Bedford
Hi!

I've been lurking here for a week or so, reading and watching reviews and have finally taken the plunge. I've not really biked much since I was a teenager (35 now), and was always put off by the wind and the hills.

We recently moved house and are only about 2.5 miles from the town centre, so it seems silly to drive (and park) a car every time I need to pop in for something. And there's plenty of countryside around here to get out and explore at weekends.

Yesterday I dropped by Halfords to take a test ride of one of their bikes, just to get an idea of what it's like. I tried out a Vulcan E (it would have been the Crossfire E, but they only had a giant framed one). I was amazed at just how much fun it is!

It feels like at least some exercise, but flattening out those hills and wooshing along the flats is amazing. I got home and after yet another binge of reviews and tech specs, finally settled on a Wisper 905 Torque with the larger battery, arriving on Thursday, and I can't wait!

I picked this model because it seemed like a good compromise between rear and mid drive options, and the reviews seem pretty positive. Unfortunately our nearest dealer is a good 20-30 miles away, so I've not taken the opportunity for a test ride, but given how much fun I had on the Halfords bike, I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

Now I need to invest in a decent lock and some insurance! Looking at my home insurance details, it would appear that they won't cover a bike with a motor, even as a specified item, so I'm going to have to go for a specific policy. Recommendations welcome :)

More specifically, given I don't have a local dealer without bundling the bike in the car and driving to Cambridge, I'm wondering if I can rely on local bike shops for the majority of the bikes servicing needs?

Thanks
Steve

Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Welcome to the forum Steve, you've made a good choice and Wisper support is excellent though rarely needed.

Most local bike dealers will be able to attend to all the bicycle side of things, some used to be a bit sniffy about e-bikes but most these days have accepted they are here to stay.

The electrical side doesn't need any routine servicing, just charge the battery as necessary and enjoy your new found freedom.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi!

I've been lurking here for a week or so, reading and watching reviews and have finally taken the plunge. I've not really biked much since I was a teenager (35 now), and was always put off by the wind and the hills.

We recently moved house and are only about 2.5 miles from the town centre, so it seems silly to drive (and park) a car every time I need to pop in for something. And there's plenty of countryside around here to get out and explore at weekends.

Yesterday I dropped by Halfords to take a test ride of one of their bikes, just to get an idea of what it's like. I tried out a Vulcan E (it would have been the Crossfire E, but they only had a giant framed one). I was amazed at just how much fun it is!

It feels like at least some exercise, but flattening out those hills and wooshing along the flats is amazing. I got home and after yet another binge of reviews and tech specs, finally settled on a Wisper 905 Torque with the larger battery, arriving on Thursday, and I can't wait!

I picked this model because it seemed like a good compromise between rear and mid drive options, and the reviews seem pretty positive. Unfortunately our nearest dealer is a good 20-30 miles away, so I've not taken the opportunity for a test ride, but given how much fun I had on the Halfords bike, I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

Now I need to invest in a decent lock and some insurance! Looking at my home insurance details, it would appear that they won't cover a bike with a motor, even as a specified item, so I'm going to have to go for a specific policy. Recommendations welcome :)

More specifically, given I don't have a local dealer without bundling the bike in the car and driving to Cambridge, I'm wondering if I can rely on local bike shops for the majority of the bikes servicing needs?

Thanks
Steve
Hi Steve, thanks for investing in a Wisper, I appreciate the business. May I ask which area you live in and whom you bought your bike through?

We may be able to assist by opening a dealer more local to you.

All the best, David

Reactions: flecc

Steve N

Just Joined
Dec 5, 2017
Bedford
Hi Steve, thanks for investing in a Wisper, I appreciate the business. May I ask which area you live in and whom you bought your bike through?

We may be able to assist by opening a dealer more local to you.

All the best, David
Hi David

That would be amazing. I live in Bedford. There are a number of local cycle shops here. Transition Cycles and Cycle King for example.

I purchased the bike from e-bikes direct, making use of their current £100 discount! Though I would have happily paid the normal price to a local retailer for the extra peace of mind.

I saw mention in another thread about documentation regarding reprogramming? I'd certainly be interested in this. Being a software engineer makes me very curious :)

Thanks
Steve

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Steve,

I will give them a call.

Re "reprogramming" on bike it's not that sophisticated, just a few buttons to push, or do you mean our reprogramming the bikes here on in the factory?

Atb David

Steve N

Just Joined
Dec 5, 2017
Bedford
Re "reprogramming" on bike it's not that sophisticated, just a few buttons to push, or do you mean our reprogramming the bikes here on in the factory?
I can't find the thread now, maybe I misunderstood and it was as simple as someone asking for a user manual.

But I am curious about the software you guys put on, but understand if that's proprietary.

Thanks
Steve

4bound

Pedelecer
May 1, 2014
Neston
www.facebook.com
Hi Steve and welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will have lots of fun on your new bike, especially when the better weather arrives. There is some great countryside around Bedford for you to explore and you will soon be doing distances you didn't think would be possible on a bike.
Please excuse me saying this but I couldn't help but laugh, seeing your post entitled "Hello from Bedford", followed by comments about the difficulties of cycling up hills. I grew up on the edge of the Derbyshire Peak District and went to live in Bedford at the age of 18 ( a very long time ago!). I was very puzzled when people spoke to me about various local hills - They would refer them as landmarks to explain where various places were.

I would be racking my brain trying to think where they meant, since I hadn't seen anything that remotely qualified for the title of "hill" in my eyes. I guess it's all a matter of what you are used to.

Reactions: Steve N

Steve N

Just Joined
Dec 5, 2017
Bedford
Please excuse me saying this but I couldn't help but laugh, seeing your post entitled "Hello from Bedford", followed by comments about the difficulties of cycling up hills. I grew up on the edge of the Derbyshire Peak District and went to live in Bedford at the age of 18 ( a very long time ago!). I was very puzzled when people spoke to me about various local hills - They would refer them as landmarks to explain where various places were.

I would be racking my brain trying to think where they meant, since I hadn't seen anything that remotely qualified for the title of "hill" in my eyes. I guess it's all a matter of what you are used to.
Thanks for the welcome! And yes, I'm sure the "hills" around here must seem rather tame to someone from Derbyshire. In my defence, I grew up in Norfolk, so to me, Bedfordshire is topographically far more interesting ;)

Reactions: 4bound