Hello from Herefordshire (& any comments re these 3 bikes?)

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
Hello all

I've just found this forum while browsing through the specs of so many electric bikes with a view to ordering one this week. It's not a rushed decision, I've been thinking about it for a year but having moved to a village near Symonds Yat with some quiet lanes and local cycle paths, the time is right. I'm currently using an ordinary folder but am finding it hard work and would like something with a little ooomph.

Alas.... which to choose??

I'm female, aged 50, 50kg, not very fit and need to be able to carry my bike in a micro-campervan so it has to be a folder with a budget of £600. I also need to be able to lift it so my maximum weight can't be too much over 20kg.

I've reduced my choice down to three models, which all seem to accommodate my 34" inside leg length, and if anyone has any feedback it would be much appreciated:

Woosh Gale, 23kg, 20x1.95" tyres, 40-45 mile range, pedal assist and throttle - c £600 but can't find it to buy.

Seago ePower, 19.kg, 40 mile range, 99cm saddle height (essential), disc brakes (preferred), Samsung battery, pedal assist only - £589 from chandlers but I can't find any reviews.

Coyote Connect (Halfords), 24kg(?), 35 mile range, V brakes, expensive & shorter life battery (judging by reviews), pedal assist only - £540 from Halfords via current promotion.

If anyone has any observations/advice, please share, especially any comments re the Seago ePower bike.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
My thought is it might be good to practice lifting different bikes at halfords or somewhere because from my own experience and reading others', weight could be an issue. If it's a micro camper, is it easy to get a bike in or is it like an ordinary raised boot? The latter can exacerbate weight issues.

Woosh have a really good reputation on here for service /aftercare,and value.

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
woosh Gallego is the lightest of the lot (18kgs), then the Kudos Secret (19kgs).
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?gallego
http://www.kudoscycles.com/product_info.php?products_id=273
I'm not keen on the 16" wheels of the Gallego (I also use it on canal towpaths...) and short range because my round trips would be about 25 miles.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Kudos Secret. This looks very interesting, a throttle too to help wheel it up Yat Rock or Porlock Hill(!!) but a review suggests it's not good for taller riders with long-legs.

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
My thought is it might be good to practice lifting different bikes at halfords or somewhere because from my own experience and reading others', weight could be an issue. If it's a micro camper, is it easy to get a bike in or is it like an ordinary raised boot? The latter can exacerbate weight issues.

Woosh have a really good reputation on here for service /aftercare,and value.
A very valid thought, thank you. I already have a 20" folder and did just this when buying it because it is not easy to lift a bike into a tiny van. I have a Romahome with a very narrow rear access door and have to squeeze a bike through, then climb in myself on top of it and wriggle it all into place in the aisle between the rear seat benches. Alternatively, it has to fit through the passenger door and travel folded on the passenger seat - it is a struggle but worth it to take a bike on trips all over the UK and Scottish Highlands.

Reactions: jonathan75

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
kudosdave is a 6 footer and he rides the Secret.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
I'm not keen on the 16" wheels of the Gallego (I also use it on canal towpaths...) and short range because my round trips would be about 25 miles.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Kudos Secret. This looks very interesting, a throttle too to help wheel it up Yat Rock or Porlock Hill(!!) but a review suggests it's not good for taller riders with long-legs.
Now I'm not 100% sure about this but I'm not aware of any physical difference between a large frame bike and a smaller one with a raised seatpost, other than that the former can't be shrunk, whereas the latter can be expanded (raised). I gather (though check?) the cranks tend to be the same length, ie 175mm. Perhaps someone else will correct me on that. This leaves (I think) only the issue of the handlebar height and reach, which I think is always changeable, sometimes with the substitution of cheap additional parts.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
A very valid thought, thank you. I already have a 20" folder and did just this when buying it because it is not easy to lift a bike into a tiny van. I have a Romahome with a very narrow rear access door and have to squeeze a bike through, then climb in myself on top of it and wriggle it all into place in the aisle between the rear seat benches. Alternatively, it has to fit through the passenger door and travel folded on the passenger seat - it is a struggle but worth it to take a bike on trips all over the UK and Scottish Highlands.
My insurance policy from cycleguard covers me for periods with the bike locked to a towbar fitted bike rack in case that's any use. Although I'm not sure for how many hours, and it's got to be the type which itself locks to the car (NB also 20% excess for bikes over £500,possible water ingress issues).

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the main issue with very lightweight folding bikes is battery capacity, typically at most 36V 8AH. You can just about make 25 miles on a full charge but perhaps not with strong headwinds or steep hills. To avoid range anxiety, you need a 10AH or 13AH battery.
tapash is selling his 3 month old Volt folding bike.
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/volt-metro-2015-10ah-for-quick-sale-£850.21868/
there is also a second hand Gale on the woosh website for about £400:
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?secondhand

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
My insurance policy from cycleguard covers me for periods with the bike locked to a towbar fitted bike rack in case that's any use. Although I'm not sure for how many hours, and it's got to be the type which itself locks to the car (NB also 20% excess for bikes over £500,possible water ingress issues).
Unfortunately a towbar isn't an option on my van. My Romahome is based on the Citroen Berlingo with an extended rear overhang. A towbar can be made but it isn't practical in use because it adds to the weight at the rear in exactly the spot I don't want extra weight or bulk and can affect reversing up gradients. It would also block the door access. The bike has to be carried inside the van (no, there's not much space!) which is also better for security too, especially as we wildcamp

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
the main issue with very lightweight folding bikes is battery capacity, typically at most 36V 8AH. You can just about make 25 miles on a full charge but perhaps not with strong headwinds or steep hills. To avoid range anxiety, you need a 10AH or 13AH battery.
tapash is selling his 3 month old Volt folding bike.
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/volt-metro-2015-10ah-for-quick-sale-£850.21868/
there is also a second hand Gale on the woosh website for about £400:
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?secondhand

Both of those look interesting but the Volt is way over my £600 budget and I'm guessing the battery on the Woosh might not be the best at just over 2 years old. If they were closer I would have a look but I can't head to the south-east at the moment.

I take your point re battery capacity. I wouldn't be using the motor on flat tracks so a 25 mile capacity should be OK. I'm aiming for hire bearing in mind the battery will lose condition and, yes, there are hills in Herefordshire.

The Seago boasts a range of up to 40 miles (assume 30 max in reality). I wish I could find somebody who has actually used one though.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I'd take the 40 miles claim of the Seago as optimistic. The Secret and the Seago have the same battery compartment, probably the same battery size.
Kudos are member of the forum, you can be sure of the good level of support should you need it.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Looking at Kudos website, the secret seems to fold down well enough. One thing I'd say though is, whichever bike you buy, a set of folding pedals might be a good investment since you're sticking it in a romahome.

They're not expensive and make a big difference when putting the bike in tight spaces. I've got a set on my Kudos typhoon and love them.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com

Kangaroo....since that review we have added a double height seat post (like the Brompton),combined with the adjustable height handlebar stem it can be made comfortable for a plus 6 footer.
We also fitted a larger chainring to lower the cadence and make the gears more useful.
KudosDave

Reactions: kangooroo

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
Well it's a few days later and a lot has happened. I went to look at bikes in Hereford and Cardiff but found some were too short in the saddle height (eg Halfords Coyote Connect) and although I know the seatpost can be replaced, with such low handlebars it would have felt quite unbalanced.

Then I found one bike in Cardiff which was the perfect fit - but it was sold. Alas, there were two more available, one in the south-east, the other in the north-east so I ordered one online, and have just returned from 2 days testing it in the Elan Valley and it felt fantastic, but there was a fault on the controller. I cut my trip short today, liaised with the manufacturer and retailer and the other bike is due for delivery next Wednesday when this one will be collected. It's not been quite the smooth purchase I hoped for but hopefully all will be resolved next week.

This is my first experience of electric bikes and instead of puffing and panting my way along with palpitations, staggering up hills and getting nowhere battling against a headwind, the bike took me through it all with ease. Whoever developed the idea of electric bikes is a genius. :)

Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A problem looks like it will be solved very promptly great service. If you want to see a bit more genius then look at the radio control plane jet engine fixed on a bike in the jet bike thread, what a hoot.