Hello from hilly huddersfield

D

Deleted member 4366

Please let us know how it's been going after some time. We get loads of people telling us how pleased they are with their new bike, but we rarely get future updates, which would be very useful for people trying to decide which bike to get.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

M0RIU

Just Joined
Oct 11, 2017
Huddersfield
Well, I've had the bike 6 weeks and only used the car three times to go to work in that period. I work shifts and am on a Rota system, so some weeks I work 5 days and others none.
Today was a big milestone for me. Not only did I just click over 200miles on the odometer, but I also came up the big hill without stopping. Remember I am in huddersfield at the top of the Pennines and we really do have some big hills. My main nemesis is a 1:10 at times and over 1 1/2 mile long.
I usually use the bike in sport mode on the big climbs and tour when on the canal towpath. The 12 mile round trip to work uses about 40% of the battery when used like this.
Cut outs - I have had 4 in total. I will be mentioning it when I take it in for its first service, but don't hold out much hope.
Costs. I purchased the bike through a cycle to work scheme, so have a tax benefit, I also am making a considerable fuel saving as I drive a 3l V6, so I use about 1 gallon a day going to work.
Health. Lost 1/2 stone in the first 3 weeks, and my weight s continuing to go down.

I've learned a few lessons cycling to work.
1. Waterproof over trousers are essential.
2. Over trousers don't keep your legs dry in your rucksack. Doh.
3. Safety glasses are needed for the downhill bits to stop you being blinded by the rain.
4. Most car drivers are considerate, but some are complete arses who intentionally block your path.
5. Be careful when you get to work with a grin on your face feeling all righteous. They will think you are up to something.
6. A strong bike lock will slow down the determined scumbag thieves.
7. The key for a strong bike lock is no good at home when both you and bike and said lock are at work.

I am now an enthusiast, not a masochist, so will be using the car at the first sign of frost, snow or ice.

M0RIU

Just Joined
Oct 11, 2017
Huddersfield
Over 350 miles now on the clock, and the cut outs have stopped. I removed the battery and one f the contacts on the bike had a strange white coating. Cleaned it off and touch wood no more problems.
I was late up one day so went in the car, blinkin traffic made my 25 minute cycle into a 50 minute car drive. To cap it all when I got to work the staff car park was full so I had to pay £7 to park in the visitor car park. New lesson, don't use the car.
Still grinning when I get to work after the bike rides, even if I'm wet on the outside.