Hello from New Zealand

Waynesebike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 3, 2018
I have just getting into the e-bike scene. my family gave me a kit for my birthday and I have just about finished the installation. One problem I have a front drive and I cant fit my hydraulic brake cylinder as the clearance from the outside of the motor and disc is too narrow has anybody got any ideas? sorry if this has already been discussed on this forum

Reactions: LeighPing

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi welcome
Pictures paint a thousand words as they say
And I’m sure someone will be along that can help you :)

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Yup, pictures please !

But I am guessing you have a common enough problem where the brake caliper fouls on the motor/disc i.e. you can't for the caliper back on now the motor wheel is in position

Solution is usually to for a bigger disc (180mm or , in the case of my old bike , a 203mm)

Then buy an caliper mount adaptor (make sure it's the right one! Your LBS can help )

Usually this solves the issue (if I have kinda guessed the issue right )

Here is an example
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/shimano-mount-adaptor-front-post-to-post/rp-prod13747?gs=1&sku=sku54052&pgrid=55375185827&ptaid=pla-425741341882&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sWGpfEniC_dm|pcrid|253998738371|pkw||pmt||prd|54052UK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
K has beaten me to it, probably needs a larger disc rotor and adapter.
Best to post some pics to see the problem better.

P.s
Welcome aboard Wayne.
We have at least two Kiwi's on here.
AK or AnotherkIwi in Spain and TrevorMonty who is still a native.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
K has beaten me to it, probably needs a larger disc rotor and adapter.
Best to post some pics to see the problem better.

P.s
Welcome aboard Wayne.
We have at least two Kiwi's on here.
AK or AnotherkIwi in Spain and TrevorMonty who is still a native.
Ahem correction... Basque Country, French side :) Lots of riding done in Navarra though.

Waynesebike

Jul 3, 2018
Thanks guys I tried that the Motor has a large diameter if there was an extension with a slight offset would probably work. I was thinking maybe trying a thinner caliper but I am guessing it would have to be a manual setup

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With my bpm which is 180mm dia, I used a 203mm rotor and adapter to allow calliper fitting, though it was still tight.

Noticed you have the hub in wrong, the motor wire needs to exit downwards then looped back up to form a drip loop to prevent moisture ingress.

• Useful

Waynesebike

Jul 3, 2018
Thank you I will give it a try wont be until next weekend as I am in the bush miles away from civilization. Great suggestion thank you

Waynesebike

Jul 3, 2018
All fixed fitted a 203 mm dia Rotor and thin mechanical brake calipers just fits

Waynesebike

Jul 3, 2018
With my bpm which is 180mm dia, I used a 203mm rotor and adapter to allow calliper fitting, though it was still tight.

Noticed you have the hub in wrong, the motor wire needs to exit downwards then looped back up to form a drip loop to prevent moisture ingress.
Thanks for that all fixed its up and going now

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH