Hello from Oxfordshire

Tazmantic

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2018
oxfordshire
Just thought Id say a quick hello as not only new here but also to electric bikes, as was on a very tight had to buy one which needs lets say some fettling so will be asking lots of questions no doubt.

Cheers

D

Deleted member 4366

No need to be shy. Fire away with any questions.

Tazmantic

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2018
oxfordshire
OK here goes lol, well I bought a Greenway electric fat bike just like this one that amazon used to sell (please don't laugh too loud)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GREENWAY-electric-PANASONIC-lithium-battery/dp/B06W56DBQS

Its got a BAFANG motor hub (BF RMG06 36v 350w) and a J-LCD KING METER and has done over 1000 miles. I bought it knowing that the pedal assist was not "kicking in properly" (but it don't seem to work at all), I had a quick search on the net and was hoping that it was poss just one of the switches in the brake levers but no they are ok or the sensor on the crank but that's flashing when pedalling and solid light when not pedalling or pedalling backwards...

The speedo and distance all work and so does the walk assist so the motor obviously works. It has the round type connectors so I could not really check voltages etc there so I took the controller apart (LSW 781-62-12) and between the black and red wires going to the sensor there is approx. 4.6v but also between the black and white wire there is 4.6v and this stays constant if you pedal, don't pedal, pedal backwards or even disconnect the sensor.......

Any ideas??? is the sensor rouge or has the controller or motor gone bad?? I did download the manual for the king meter off the site many thanks but in there it says about setting max speed and wheel size etc but I can only seem to change time, brightness, MPH/KPH so presume the other parameters are factory set and not changeable..

Sorry for the essay any any info would be great thanks

I have some pics if needed

D

Deleted member 4366

That's a very good explanation. It saves lots of questions.

There's a pull-up resistor in the controller, which holds the PAS signal wire high, then the magnets activate the hall sensor/s to short it to ground. That means that if it stays high, there's something wrong with the connection to the hall sensor, which must be working to make the LED flash. Probably, the wires out of the sensor have been pulled too hard and broken something. It might be worth a closer look to see if there's anything obvious, otherwise you can buy a new sensor. They don't cost much. Is there a connection for a throttle (3 wires, perhaps red black and white) inside the controller box?

Tazmantic

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2018
oxfordshire
was hoping all the waffle would save some time lol, the wire to the sensor looks fine but the plug (its round with a yellow inside) was very hard to pull apart.... There is a white cable from the controller (not the king meter) with an oblong plug and 4 connections init is that for a throttle? is there anyway I could short the PAS signal wire see if the motor ran? do you know where a sensor could be bought? and would it have the correct connector?

Many thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

That white connector is a programming lead. To test the PAS cable you need to make a bridge between the ground and the signal wire. Tap it so that it sends pulses of zero volts.

Another thing to check is that a cable tie didn't bite into the cable enough to break the signal wire inside.

Tazmantic

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2018
oxfordshire
Well thank you so much, with the info you supplied Ive fixed it, I decided to check the cable between the controller and the plug for the sensor red and black had continuity but the white didn't. So I cut the cable and the white wire was broken inside the plug....Thought I would still test and I tapped the white and black together and the motor started....So looks like even though the plug was tucked inside the frame the white wire managed to break.

Out with the old trusty soldering iron, cut the plug off the sensor too and soldered and heat shrunk the wires, put it all back together and hey presto motor runs but my word its quick, it has 0 to 5 and even on 1 it does about 9 mph on 5 I was getting about 18mph.

So next question can it be reprogramed as number 1 seems quite fast but then again the walk assist is about 6mph

Thanks again for all the info :0)

D

Deleted member 4366

I'm not sure whether you can reprogram the speeds other than the global maximum. It sounds like you have a speed control controller. Which limits speed at each of the 5 levels rather than power. Current control controllers limit the power in each level, but allow maximum speed in all of them. Both have advantages and disadvantages, though most people seem to prefer current control.

There is a bluetooth device for Li Shui controllers that allow you to do some reprogramming using a phone app. Do a Google search for it. They should have a description of which features and parameters it can re-program.

Tazmantic

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2018
oxfordshire
Thanks again for the info just seems as soon as you start pedalling it gets up to what ever speed no matter how fast or slow you pedal just as long as there moving, ordered the Bluetooth dongle will let you know how things go, would just be nice if I could slow the first assist a bit especially for off road use.

Cheers