Hello from the Fens.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Ah yes....'the waste water'.....lol

It still amazes me how many people have no comprehension of how to live without mains utilities....or even that life exists without !!

Lynda :)

Ettica

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2008
Heskin Lancashire
Ah yes....'the waste water'.....lol

It still amazes me how many people have no comprehension of how to live without mains utilities....or even that life exists without !!

Exactly Lynda. It's also amazing how long a gas bottle can last if you take care with it's usage.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Exactly Lynda. It's also amazing how long a gas bottle can last if you take care with it's usage.
Now you are talking....I am really good at conserving my gas.....my bottles are spanish, I have 2 large ones on the van and can only exchange them when i go to Spain...which is now only once a year or even longer, so they have to last, last year I went back and had only used 1 bottle......I felt quite proud of myself :D

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
The demise of the "Public Baths" was a sad loss to travellers.

I spent a couple of years of my youth "upping 'n' downing", only possible with the acceptance of hitch-hiking in those days.

First thing to do when reaching a new town...find the public baths and the Laundry-mat...everything else aquired through persuasion and pester-power

Richard_M

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Ely, East Englia.
Ah the Fens, some of my earliest cycling memories.
Hello there. It sounds like cycling bliss, the flat lands. But it's so blooming windy. You know the score, there's no cover whatsoever. Glad to know that you've tackled the Fen and made it back home.

My electro is making a huge difference. Whatever the wind, I can still make decent progress. How is your Schwinn Voyageur conversion going ?

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Propane is the stuff, I'm sure you'll agree. I have 2 x 13Kg bottles on the boat. 3 months of tea and cooking each. If you run an Electrolux fridge, one month each if you're lucky.
I have to admit Richard that the only way I have managed to eke my gas out is by not using it lol
Too few long trips away and often on hook up so I have plenty power for my laptop and bike battery !!

Richard_M

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Ely, East Englia.
The demise of the "Public Baths" was a sad loss to travellers.
First thing to do when reaching a new town...find the public baths and the Laundry-mat...everything else aquired through persuasion and pester-power
From experience, the bath then the laundrette then the Library then the Jobcentre then the agencies. Take a lucky dip and say "What do you have that is immediate start". Next minute, you're on site and you're off. Good times and not so long ago :)

Growbag

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2013
Torbay, Devon
Hello there. It sounds like cycling bliss, the flat lands. But it's so blooming windy. You know the score, there's no cover whatsoever. Glad to know that you've tackled the Fen and made it back home.

My electro is making a huge difference. Whatever the wind, I can still make decent progress. How is your Schwinn Voyageur conversion going ?
You are certainly right about the winds ....especially from an easterly direction with the added chill. Very little to stop them between the Russian Steppes and the Wash. I was on a Carlton racing bike in those days.

No progress on the Schwinn Voyageur conversion yet, as it's on Santa's waiting list. Probably looking at a Cyclotricity kit, though I might purchase a ready made bike if one becomes available. Really looking forward to it, then who knows maybe some organised Pedelec rides in the far south west :)