Hello (from the gtech project owner)

Ahrooney

Just Joined
Apr 16, 2018
Stevenage
Hi all,

Just a first post here to introduce myself. Have been cycling for a while and wanted to commute more often and generally wanted to try out the electric bikes.

Recently bought a Gtech Sport Ebike as a project - needs some TLC and a new battery. Have been searching for spares/repair Gtech battery or any information about the repairs but no luck thus far.

Hope I will find some info or insight over here.

If there are any owners of Gtech bikes - please share your experience of owning/repairing/living/using one. Thanks in advance!

D

Deleted member 4366

You can't really repair the battery. Everything in it apart from the cells is bespoke, so, unless you' know about electronics and you have the equipment to weld up a new cell-pack, you have to get a replacement battery.

Here's the remains of one that I stripped down. Note the micro-multi-pin connector and that the cells are welded outside the plastic cell holders, so you have to cut every strip to get the cells out.
20180416_173537.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ahrooney

Just Joined
Apr 16, 2018
Stevenage
You can't really repair the battery. Everything in it apart from the cells is bespoke, so, unless you' know about electronics and you have the equipment to weld up a new cell-pack, you have to get a replacement battery.

Here's the remains of one that I stripped down. Note the micro-multi-pin connector and that the cells are welded outside the plastic cell holders, so you have to cut every strip to get the cells out.
View attachment 24234
Thanks guys for sharing. I have thought about contacting gtech directly but assumed that the only option they will have is a new battery. Fair enough but i want to exhaust all alternatives before the easiest option. Why do simple when complicated is possible. The battery is kind of dead but only the controller or BMS. Looks like there was some water ingress and it killed the PCB. Battery still measures 36v and i was playing with the multimeter on components. Anyway long story short i would like to try another controller/board to see if that would be it. Although struggling to find anything on ebay. Only the official batteries.

d8veh - do you still have that butchered battery or any spares? Anyone else has got one with shot cells?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 4366

My battery had gone down to zero volts (every cell). The only way it can do that is if the BMS is faulty. I think I must still have it somewhere, but would you want to risk your cell-pack. If the cells are OK, you can at least make your own bottle battery with a generic BMS and an Aldi Aluminium water bottle.