Hello from Wales

Hightechpete

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2018
west Wales
Hi everyone, I'm a 66 year old cyclist who hasn't turned a wheel in over a year.

I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis this time last year, my symptoms have now eased and I would love to join my friends again on the Sunday ride outs, but I'm going to need some help on the hills and mountains. I've spent most of today trawling through this forum looking for relevant information.

I was looking for a simple/stupid kit to ease the strain on my joints when things get tough, and eventually found the Cyclotricity front 700c 36V 250W kit together with a 36V/7Ah bottle battery for a very reasonable £299.
I couldn't fit this to my Trek (carbon forks), so it would go on my steel framed 70's Raleigh road bike.
I don't want or need any fancy gizmos, just a little help on the hills, and this seems to fit the bill.

I'd like to know what you think before placing the order.
Pete.

Paul smith

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2016
Hello pete from wales know nowt about batteries an kits an such...d8veh probs be your man there..hopefully he reply.

Kevin A

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 4, 2017
Ipswich
Best check the OLD or dropout width of the wheel you are thinking of installing vs the bike you are planning to use .

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Hello Pete :)

Until recently I had a '80's Raleigh Pursuit. The brakes were pretty mediocre compared to today's standards. Not sure how they'd fare with the added weight and an engine.

Gaz

Hightechpete

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2018
west Wales
Hello Pete :)

Until recently I had a '80's Raleigh Pursuit. The brakes were pretty mediocre compared to today's standards. Not sure how they'd fare with the added weight and an engine.

Gaz
Thanks for the quick replies, 100mm dropout, most components have been upgraded, alloy wheels and triple chainset, weinmann centre pull brakes, but still heavy compared with the Trek.

I've been doing some more internet searches, and I've discovered the Swytch project which claims to be compatible with carbon forks, it would suit me perfectly, especially the claimed hill climbing ability but sadly not available yet. I'd like to know whether the Cyclotricity motor has a similar performance.

I didn't want to permanently modify my Trek with a rear hub motor, so a bit more research into properly designed torque arms on carbon forks leads me to think that a front hub motor is a possibility. A quick wheel swap would return the Trek back to standard when my fitness improves. On the other hand, I might like so much that it becomes a permanent fixture, I'm not getting any younger.

Kevin A

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 4, 2017
Ipswich
Thanks for the quick replies, 100mm dropout, most components have been upgraded, alloy wheels and triple chainset, weinmann centre pull brakes, but still heavy compared with the Trek.

I've been doing some more internet searches, and I've discovered the Swytch project which claims to be compatible with carbon forks, it would suit me perfectly, especially the claimed hill climbing ability but sadly not available yet. I'd like to know whether the Cyclotricity motor has a similar performance.

I didn't want to permanently modify my Trek with a rear hub motor, so a bit more research into properly designed torque arms on carbon forks leads me to think that a front hub motor is a possibility. A quick wheel swap would return the Trek back to standard when my fitness improves. On the other hand, I might like so much that it becomes a permanent fixture, I'm not getting any younger.
Sounds like you only have to choose between your two bikes and which will best carry your battery ! Good luck and easier riding !

Powerbikes

Trade Member
Sep 11, 2017
Whitehaven
www.powerbikes.uk
Go for it! These are popular kits. Although I normally advise customers to go for the additional PAS sensor and LED display if possible. This gives you pedal assist instead of just relying on throttle alone, control on assistance levels and battery level indicator on the bars. The throttle is fun to have but I think it's nicer to ride having PAS.

https://powerbikes.uk/shop/conversion-kit/cyclotricity-250w-conversion-kit/