Hello from Wolverhampton! Question about Cyclamatic

raindrops

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 26, 2018
Wolverhampton
Good morning!

First, let me congratulate all the supporting users of this forum! Before registering, since I discovered the forum, I have been reading like a maniac all the amazing information one can find here, and it can be overwhelming..

I want to buy an electric bike, but unfortunately my budget is really - really - humble.. around 500-600 pounds. In that price range, the choice isn't much. In similar threads, several users recommend a Cyclamatic bike. But information on these is scarce. A couple of generic YouTube videos, some comments, but nothing very informative. Most of the information available in about the Power Plus model which has already 7 years, with a less potent battery when compared to more recent models like the CX1 and the CX3. Even the difference between this 2 models its hard to find beside the amperes of the battery. The old Power Plus had full throttle, with twist and go, which is something that I would love to have after a long day of physical work. I believe of the CX1 and CX3 no longer offer this option, only offering motor assistance while pedaling.

Does anyone here have one CX1 or CX3 that can enlighten me about it? Are you still happy with it?

Thank you so much for all the information. So far all the knowledge has been priceless. Even without spending money I'm already a richer man! Information is power!

D

Deleted member 4366

The main difference between the CX1 and the CX3 are the control systems. IIRC, the CX1 only has a single power level, which is maximum, so you only get full power whenever you pedal, which can be a bit awkward and not very efficient. the CX3 has a much more modern system with 9 levels of assist.

I've not worked on either, but I can tell you that it's pretty easy to upgrade the controller on the CX1 to a modern system, which would give you several levels of assistance plus the options to add a throttle and derestrict it. There may even be a connector provided to fit a throttle as it is.

The CX3 has its controller housed in the battery. There's still ways to upgrade/modify, but it's not just a case of swapping parts like on the CX1. It also has a better battery.

I had the old Power Plus. It was a lot of fun modifying it do do 31 mph at minimal cost, but that's because I like that sort of thing. If you just want to ride the bike, then I'd recommend paying extra for the CX3.

Getting these bikes repaired is not going to be easy. You can get warranty parts from Sports HQ, but you need to know how to diagnose faults and fit the parts. if you're no good at that sort of thing, it would probably be better to get a Vengeance E from Halfords. wait until Easter weekend when they do 10% or 20% off, join the Cycle club to get their discount too and use a cashback scheme like Quidco to get another 3% back, which could get the price down to about the same as the CX3.

raindrops

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 26, 2018
Wolverhampton
Thank you so much d8veh, brilliant information here!

Since I don't have much mechanical or technical knowledge, you raised pretty solid concerns on buying a bike in which any problem or malfunction will lead to a "what now?" moment. Thats slightly scary indeed.

Even though none of the options offer a full throttle experience, the 9 levels of assistance on the CX3, will help a lot, I think, because as long as you keep moving the pedals, in a high level the motor will help you achieving a decent speed without effort. But again, the lack of support on maintenance it can be scary, especially because there is not a lot of information around..

I really don't want a mopped, cause I love to cycle, but gosh, my legs would love to rest after work!

The tip of eventual promotions around Easter, yes, yes, yes! Really well reminded! Thanks you! But I'm not totally sold on the Vengeance, yet . So many mixed reviews.. I hate this feeling of being a newbie! How I would love to be a tech nerd in this moments!!

D

Deleted member 4366

The Vengeance is fairly typical of electric bikes in that price range and is very similar to the CX3. The CX3 has a better control system, but you can always drop the Vengeance off at Halfords to fix any warranty issues. I wouldn't take too much notice of reviews of either of them - good or bad. You will most likely be happy with either of them.