Hello, good evening and ... happy christmas

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I live in extreme south west Wales.

Given the loveliness of the area, it seemed utterly ridiculous to drive everywhere - including to work. So I have acquired an ebike and intend to use it for the short distance to work, and for further exploring of the area.

Over 60, and very unfit, it will take me some time to get going properly. So far have only done around the block - now bought lights and waterproofs so have run out of reasons to stay indoors. :)

Have been reading here for some time. Boss (in remote location) has been using an ebike for some years and is pretty keen.

Saw this story a little earlier - not enough roads round here to manage anything like that! Maybe manage a carrot?

upload_2017-12-23_18-4-56.png

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-42456773

Rod

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Hi from Ceredigion. 64 and been e biking (leisure/utility) for about 3 years now. Hills don't faze me any more and looking for a bigger battery !
It'll probably surprise you how far you want to go. Enjoy, oh and wipe that silly grin of your face :D

Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Hi from Ceredigion. 64 and been e biking (leisure/utility) for about 3 years now. Hills don't faze me any more and looking for a bigger battery !
It'll probably surprise you how far you want to go. Enjoy, oh and wipe that silly grin of your face :D
Even the road where I work is around 1 in 4. The coffee shop (downstairs) had a special oak bench made with legs at one end much longer than the other end.

I am perfectly happy with the idea of riding in the rain - I expect it - but it would be so nice to have a few dry hours to get used to it.

One of the bonuses I already experienced was finding a super-friendly bike shop - County Cycles in Cross Hands. Good coffee and cakes too. Think we'll be using it whenever we are in the area - much nicer than Pont Abraham services or Leekes' cafe.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
One of the bonuses I already experienced was finding a super-friendly bike shop - County Cycles in Cross Hands. Good coffee and cakes too. Think we'll be using it whenever we are in the area - much nicer than Port Abraham services or Leekes' cafe.
Oooo more main roads than I'm used to, however more essential cake breaks than where I am. As for 1:4's, I have been known to laugh whilst tackling them - occaisionally! Certainly don't route plan to avoid them.
Newcastle Emlyn is good for cafe breaks, plenty of quiet roads around, spectacular views.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Oooo more main roads than I'm used to, however more essential cake breaks than where I am. As for 1:4's, I have been known to laugh whilst tackling them - occaisionally! Certainly don't route plan to avoid them.
Newcastle Emlyn is good for cafe breaks, plenty of quiet roads around, spectacular views.
Have to make it past the Preselis. :)