Hello, I am from the West Midlands

kenl

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 21, 2018
Birmingham
I'm now 71, and have always been a regular cyclist. I feel that I now need a bit of powered assistance. I am thinking of converting an old bike to electric. It has 26in wheels and I am looking for a front wheel kit.
I have seen some kits on the web for £425, with good 'on site' customer reviews. I'm not sure about them, so, I was hoping that this forum may be able to help. Thank you, Ken

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Front wheel kits are ok but you might get some wheel slip on loose or wet soggy surfaces. You have to be careful with ali forks as often the drop outs aren't very strong and after a while some will stress and crack due to the motor torque. Steel forks are ok.

D

Deleted member 4366

Rear wheel conversions are always better unless you have hub gears or hub brakes. Even then, you can always keep that bike and buy a used bike as a donor for the k8t.

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Hi Kent,
Whats been said about slippage is true, I find however that it's minimal. On the steepest climbs with loose or slimey surfaces I have to put more weight over the bars, this might mean actually getting out of the saddle:eek: a rarity on an e bike. It's nothing an accomplished cyclist can't learn to handle.
The forks issue is something else. The Halfords bought Carrera I converted has Suntour forks. Over about 4000 miles they are fine - so far so good. I did put a strong torque arm on, one of the Ezee ones. I think it would depend on the bike and the motor you intend, need to get specific to help.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I've had a front wheel hub kit and now a rear hub kit and though front is okay, rear hub with a down tube battery suits me best and has good balance and more normal bike handling.
As you are a regular cyclist I think that you may find the latter to be a more pleasing ride for you.
Dave.

kenl

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 21, 2018
Birmingham
Thank you for all of your posts, They have been really helpful.
I hadn't considered the wheel slip issue.
The site I am looking at has kits front or rear for about £430
Ken