Hello, i'm a new eBiker

GloveMakingMan

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2014
Bideford, North Devon
instagram.com
Hello, after 40+ years of travelling on four wheels i've now given up the car and gone back to a bicycle (ebike). Making the decision on which make and model bike to buy was difficult and took me several weeks. I narrowed down my requirements and decided that i needed to go for a small folding bike that would cope well with very hilly North Devon without using a derailleur. I did not get on well with derailleurs when i last rode bikes some fifty years ago but that's just me! Advice given to me was to go for a crank drive with Nexus gears and after much searching i found a new model - the Zephyr CDN from some very nice people at Woosh Bikes. I've had it two weeks and i find it suits me perfect. It goes up our very steep hills with the greatest of ease. Photo shows my Zephyr CDN with a few extras that i've added.1797486_672577279465467_1882485804_n.jpg

Reactions: trex

GloveMakingMan

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2014
Bideford, North Devon
instagram.com
Hi, the Nexus gears are just fantastic. It's only 3-speed but that's all i will ever need. Gear changing can be done when stationary too, such as at traffic lights, great!

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
That's good then, I hadn't realised it was only 3-speed. My Nexus 8 isn't happy changing gear under load, but is fine when you pause pedalling briefly to change gear.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
That's good then, I hadn't realised it was only 3-speed. My Nexus 8 isn't happy changing gear under load, but is fine when you pause pedalling briefly to change gear.
Nexus 3 is a good choice for folding bikes.
Small wheels put less strain on the gearbox, gear change should be easier too.
the £699 Woosh CDN could be the best small bike for cities.
cwah, you should ask Hatti to let you do a review before they all sell out.

Reactions: GloveMakingMan

Willber G

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2014
Southampton
Looks good. I have the hub-powered Zephyr but that's fine for me.
Where did you get that carrier on the back?

ETA: I've just noticed you have the wireless indicators below the saddle - work well, don't they?

Last edited:

GloveMakingMan

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2014
Bideford, North Devon
instagram.com

Willber G

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2014
Southampton
Thanks for the link, I'll have a look.
I tried the Winkku mirror indicator but couldn't get on with it. I am now waiting for delivery of a Bicygnals set from US Amazon. It's a shame Halfords stopped selling them here.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I would be very wary of relying on indicators.

They are an unusual non-standard item and motorists may not recognise their meaning.

I stick my arm out which, linked to a classic cyclists' backwards glance and wobble, leaves a car driver in no doubt I'm about to do something, even if it's only fall off.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I stick my arm out which, linked to a classic cyclists' backwards glance and wobble, leaves a car driver in no doubt I'm about to do something, even if it's only fall off.
I thought it was just me that wobbles when I look back - Most embarassing, but nearly always happens: I have to be careful when braking with an arm struck out too.

Reactions: Alan Quay

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
If you only wobble you have an advantage over me, I manage to change direction too.

Willber G

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2014
Southampton
I would be very wary of relying on indicators.

They are an unusual non-standard item and motorists may not recognise their meaning.

I check my mirror, turn the indicator on, check my mirror, signal with my arm, check mirror again, move across with indicator on and leave it on until I have completed the manoeuvre. The indicators are very bright and animated so as to be as noticeable as possible. I find they work well and I have often had cars flash me acknowledgement even before my arm signal.

Last edited:

GloveMakingMan

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2014
Bideford, North Devon
instagram.com
I check my mirror, turn the indicator on, check my mirror, signal with my arm, check mirror again, move across with indicator on and leave it on until I have completed the manoeuvre. The indicators are very bright and animated so as to be as noticeable as possible. I find they work well and I have often had cars flash me acknowledgement even before my arm signal.
Exactly how it should be done, using normal hand signals, the indicators are used to 'be seen' and confirm your direction when you have to put both hands on the handlebars to complete the turn. Talking about mirrors... i've found most mirrors on the market are too short for these ebikes and only show your arm in them. I've had to cut mine and fit an extension piece in the middle, perfect now!