Hello

Clara

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2016
Hi. Just joined as I am interested in buying an ebike, but there are so many types, sizes, motors etc that it gets rather confusing. After reading reviews about the Gtek bike I have discounted it. I have seen volt bikes that seem pretty good, and would value peoples advise. I was thinking of getting a folder that I can put into the back of my car and take anywhere. I don't work so commuting or getting on and off trains will not be a problem. The bike will be used for pleasure only. Im not Interested in going fast, rather it will be a way to get out, exercise, and look at the fantastic scenery that we have here. Your advise would be much appreciated.

Reactions: Emo Rider

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
The first thing to do is visit a shop that has a variety of brands and types. Let the shop listen to what you would like in the way of an ebike. Then take several models for a test ride. Five minutes on the ebike you will love is better than thousands of words here.

A shop may have four different models of folders for instance. They will all be different in weight, features, range, performance and price. Getting on all four and deciding what is right for you is the key.

Clara

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2016
The first thing to do is visit a shop that has a variety of brands and types. Let the shop listen to what you would like in the way of an ebike. Then take several models for a test ride. Five minutes on the ebike you will love is better than thousands of words here.

A shop may have four different models of folders for instance. They will all be different in weight, features, range, performance and price. Getting on all four and deciding what is right for you is the key.
Thanks for the advice

D

Deleted member 4366

Folding electric bikes can be quite heavy and awkward, so ask the shop if you can try folding it and putting it in the boot of your car. It's not really something you'd want to do on a regular basis unless you're particularly strong.

Reactions: Emo Rider and Clara

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
How far is it that you envisage driving? I originally bought a folder so I could do what you want, but found it easiest just to ride from home, obviously if you need to drive 10 miles to get somewhere nice to start your ride from that's a different matter.

Clara

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2016
How far is it that you envisage driving? I originally bought a folder so I could do what you want, but found it easiest just to ride from home, obviously if you need to drive 10 miles to get somewhere nice to start your ride from that's a different matter.

Only about 4 miles, and I will drive just to start. As I get to know the bike more and better and feel confident, then I can. Start from home.

Clara

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2016

Would you advise me to forget a folder together due to the weight and awkwardness and just go for a full sized bike, and start from home and gradually go further afield rather than starting further away and then work my way back so to speak. That may be better. Im not sure how much I would use it whenever I take the car anyway, and the whole point of having the electric bike is to make cycling easier.bit of a blonde moment there I think. Lol

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Would you advise me to forget a folder together due to the weight and awkwardness and just go for a full sized bike, and start from home and gradually go further afield rather than starting further away and then work my way back so to speak. That may be better. Im not sure how much I would use it whenever I take the car anyway, and the whole point of having the electric bike is to make cycling easier.bit of a blonde moment there I think. Lol
100% yes. I found the folded e-bike heavy and awkward to put in and out of the car, and a folder is a compromise compared to a full sized bike. Just get the right bike from the off.
I hardly ever drive my car now because the bike is so much more convenient and enjoyable than driving.

Reactions: Clara

Clara

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2016
100% yes. I found the folded e-bike heavy and awkward to put in and out of the car, and a folder is a compromise compared to a full sized bike. Just get the right bike from the off.
I hardly ever drive my car now because the bike is so much more convenient and enjoyable than driving.

That does make more sense. No point In getting a bike to then drive somewhere to use it. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: Artstu

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree, most electric folders are very compromised and don't compare with full size models in riding pleasure.

With your short initial journey, best to go straight to what is best.

Reactions: Emo Rider and Clara

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Yes, I agree that a full-size eBike is a better bet - unless you have the funds to spend on a Brompton and have it kitted out with a motor! What ever bike you buy select it by having a ride and make sure that you can have it serviced locally.
Best wishes & welcome!
Tom

Reactions: Clara

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Test the bike with the power switched off as well? The easier it is to ride the better. Then the electric will have less to do.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
Hi Clara, welcome.
Don't know what style of bike you are looking for but if you like the step through bikes you might want to take a look at Juicy bikes. I have a Juicy Classic: https://www.juicybike.co.uk/electric-bikes/classic-click-dutch-style-electric-bicycle and love it.
My Husband says I look like a nurse on it!:rolleyes: I only use it for leisure but it is very comfortable as you are in an upright stance and can look around as you ride along. We live in a very hilly area of Lancashire but she has made it up every hill that I have tried her on and it's a very comfortable ride.
Bob at Juicy Bikes is very helpful and the bike is a good price.

Reactions: LeighPing and Clara

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Surely the stockings will be enough

Clara

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2016
Hi Clara, welcome.
Don't know what style of bike you are looking for but if you like the step through bikes you might want to take a look at Juicy bikes. I have a Juicy Classic: https://www.juicybike.co.uk/electric-bikes/classic-click-dutch-style-electric-bicycle and love it.
My Husband says I look like a nurse on it!:rolleyes: I only use it for leisure but it is very comfortable as you are in an upright stance and can look around as you ride along. We live in a very hilly area of Lancashire but she has made it up every hill that I have tried her on and it's a very comfortable ride.
Bob at Juicy Bikes is very helpful and the bike is a good price.

Hi. I have a BSO hybrid and an ordinary folder. I must admit I prefer the upright position ofthe hybrid. I will have a look at juicy bikes. Thanks