Hello

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
These boys may be able to help:
http://www.cyclemart.co.uk/
They're ar Cilcennin, near Abereron. Not mid Wales perhaps, but they are very helpful and you should be able to get a test ride.
It's the frame size that you need to get right, the bigger the wheel the better the ride on our 'rustic' welsh road surfaces.

Clara

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2016
These boys may be able to help:
http://www.cyclemart.co.uk/
They're ar Cilcennin, near Abereron. Not mid Wales perhaps, but they are very helpful and you should be able to get a test ride.
It's the frame size that you need to get right, the bigger the wheel the better the ride on our 'rustic' welsh road surfaces.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the link. I will have a look, and yes the frame size does worry me. Different bike companies have different sizing s it seems. And a lot that advertise dont actually say what size the bike is, just the wheel size and that it is unisex.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I have been looking at lots of bikes and have come across woosh santana petite. I am just under 5' 4" tall. It has 24 Inch wheels and there are two sizes of battery.

Has anyone any first hand Information on these bikes,who are able to let me know how they handle, and if they are value for money?
you are 5ft4, you will be comfortable with both 24" and 26" bikes. Beside the Petite, the woosh Santana2 has 26" wheels and a more powerful BPM motor, more suitable for a confident cyclist and very hilly terrains while the Petite is better for stability and shorter arm reach.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana2

Reactions: Clara

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
Why 24" then when you already know what a 26" wheel is like? Does it feel too big for you?

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
As I understand it the frame size is measured from the centre of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat post tube. That's an accepted standard, isn't it?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
both the woosh Petite and Santana2 have 17" frame size.

Clara

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2016
I think I was thinking of having a folder with 24 inch wheels if that was the way I was going to go.

And yes I have a BSO with 26 Inch wheels so I know how that feels as well. Different makes of bikes seem to have different or slightly different sizing oppinions. When I looked at the woosh bikes, it said that the petite was more for people of my height, and had 24 inch wheels.

I suppose I am lucky in that I can go for both the petite and the bigger bike. My BSO is a 16 inch frame and feels the right size. Thats why I was a bit worried about a slightly bigger bike.

I have also been looking at the carerra for women. It looks like a nice bike and they have it in 16 inch frame. I must admit though that I am put off a bit due to the reputation of most of halfords bikes, which have quite dire reviews and reputations.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
I went into our local Halfords to look at a Carerra, their website showed it in stock at that store so I thought 'no problem'. When I got there, no sign of it so I asked one of the mumbos (sorry, members of staff) about it and he told me that they have one in stock but it's not on show and no, they couldn't get the bike out for me.

You can guess my reaction to that can't you? I gave him my 'withering' look, well practised on my patient husband of 40 years, guaranteed to kill at 20 yards and exited the store.

Aforementioned husband went in to look at pedals only the other day, well it's a bike shop so they are going to have lots of pedals aren't they? No, one set of pedals only, pathetic.

Clara

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2016
I went into our local Halfords to look at a Carerra, their website showed it in stock at that store so I thought 'no problem'. When I got there, no sign of it so I asked one of the mumbos (sorry, members of staff) about it and he told me that they have one in stock but it's not on show and no, they couldn't get the bike out for me.

You can guess my reaction to that can't you? I gave him my 'withering' look, well practised on my patient husband of 40 years, guaranteed to kill at 20 yards and exited the store.

Aforementioned husband went in to look at pedals only the other day, well it's a bike shop so they are going to have lots of pedals aren't they? No, one set of pedals only, pathetic.

Lol. Halfrauds are truly useless. I havnt been In a halfords store for years and I see from your experience that they havnt changed. I was looking online at the carerras. Halfords are u anable to deliver them. Why? They can deliver every other bike they have, so why not the carerra?. Would they Insist on assembling the bike before handing it over? Now there is a thought. Halfords assembling a bike. I have heard too many horror stories of them doing that.no thanks. I think I will pass.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I bought a Carrera Crossfire 3 for conversion. The bike was put together and handed over by a lady bike mechanic who was keen to see it post conversion.
Perhaps there's a message in there somewhere?:rolleyes:
The odd thing is it was about £50 cheaper to order it online for pickup and assembly at local store, than to walk in and order. Go figure! It did take them about 3 weeks to find one, even though website said it was in stock locally. They caught me just in time, I was about to buy a Giant.

Clara

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2016
I did look at giants, but they do seem to be a bit clunky, and very heavy and a bit old fashioned where the components are concerned?

Clara

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2016
Does anyone know anything about batribikes, or byocycle bikes? Are they well established, are they any good. And any other Info about them or their bikes?

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Clara
If you can tell me roughly where you live I can point you to one of our stockists with at least some of the bikes you have been considering.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Oh!
How far are you prepared to travel?
I could suggest Shrewsbury or our own shop in Buxton.

Clara

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2016
Lol. We are in the middle if nowhere. People often go "oh. That's where you live is it".

I may have to make a train journey. Thanks for replying.

Reactions: JuicyBike