hello

John Fraser

Just Joined
Jan 13, 2017
lanark
Hi Folks,

First post.

I am from Scotland. I have a bike but don't get out cycling as much as i should. I am thinking off buying an ebike. I am rather confused by the rules. Well maybe not so much the rules, they are fairly clear on what is legal.
What is much more confusing is that i have looked on the internet for ages, and i cannot find how to legally put a 30mph ebike on the road. Is it even possible. I would not mind paying insurance or wearing a helmet, i have a motorcycle licence. I am left wondering if it is even possible to register one.

Can anyone offer advise please.

Many thanks

John

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Welcome, a 30mph moped can be done but it's very difficult.
Search and its been done just. easier to get a Honda plastic.

John Fraser

Just Joined
Jan 13, 2017
lanark
Thanks
Having trouble finding info on it.
I don't get the law, we want to encourage less pollution and we want to get more people out cycling.
A bike that does 15mph is limited. I can cycle on my Lappiere road bike at 15mph, and on a scale from 1-10 as a cyclist i would give myself a 3!
Why do they not give people a choice, if you want to go up to the 30mph bikes, get insurance get a serial number to register and have a licence. Away you go.
I want something that if i don't want to use it as a (moped) i can get a little cycling in. I cannot do that on an electric moped.
If anyone can find any articles on making the faster bikes legal i would appreciate it.

john

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You could move to the continent, they are legal here. :) There is a guy selling a R&M Charger on the forum at the moment, I didn't notice any number plate... The other solution is to just buy one and ride carefully. If you have an accident you will not be insured.

John Fraser

Just Joined
Jan 13, 2017
lanark
Thanks
Yeah move continent
I looked at insurance, many companies insure ebikes, you can also insure public liability. It will probably only cover you for legal ebikes!
The government are missing a trick here. I think if they made the registration fairly simple. They could make a few quid. I think people would pay to register 30mph bikes. At the moment it's nearly impossible without the bike just looking stupid.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Search for motorcycycle single vehicle approval (M.S.V.A) manual.this has all the info you need.The catagory you need to comply to is L1a-b,the test costs about £80.The bike will also need a mot and insurance before registering.Others will say why bother just get a s-pedelec and go for it.I myself would rather go for a registered bike with flip up James Bond number plate for use on cycle paths.

Sent from my D101 using Tapatalk

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Hello John
I'm with you - it's all a bit bonkers if you ask me.
Some years ago I worked for a charity and did some legal investigatory work around Class 3 mobility scooters (those that can do 8mph and be road-going). The facts were similar about registration, the government all but said they wouldn't pursue anyone for not registering and the Police confirmed they'd not police the matter, and unofficially confirmed they weren't interested (this was after the death of a person in Eastbourne who was knocked over by a mobility scooter).
I can cycle up to Beachy Head, slowly, and under powered assist. And then cycle back down at well over the speed limit. If I'm rolling, that's fine, but if it's power assisted, it's not. Odd.
I'm afraid I'm on the go for it and don't worry about it side. If I de-restrict my bike, I certainly won't be yelling about it from the rooftops, but I equally won't be sweating the small stuff over the legalities of it. It needs to be easier, at the point of sale, if you ask me.

Gaz