Hello.

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
Hello all. After much pondering, I recently took the plunge and bought a 2018 Giant Quick-e and I'm loving it. I live in a rural remote and mountainous location so the bike has definate advantages for me. I also have a Koga world traveller for long distance stuff, single speed track bike and mountain bike for day to day, a Brompton for the bus and train, and the Giant was bought as an alternative to running a "hack" motorcycle. Its been a quick learning curve on how to get the most out of a battery charge, but I'm getting there. Bikes great, only had to change the saddle. Mudguards, pannier frame, lights are fine. Most of the time I'm riding past 15/16 mph so I don't need the assist, but the 14 mile journey home including a 4 mile climb, usually into a strong headwind isn't a sweaty chore anymore. A bicycle has always been my primary mode of transport so I'm looking forward to learning more about other experiences/projects etc.

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
Seclusion and tranquillity. I wonder what that's like.
I went 14 miles and didn't see another vehicle, saw some red squirrels and visited some friends, you should try it, only a train journey away. I've spent years peddling all over the place, but decided not to renew the passport and stay at "home". Down side of the e-bike is the necessity of a charging point, and I prefer to wild camp, but I'll figure something out.

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
Ouch, but pretty impressive. I'm still learning the technicalities of the battery on my bike. I've manufactured lightweight charging systems in the past for charging marooned equipment in remote areas, like forestry gear and quad bikes etc. I made one as a trial for a guy with an early Powabyke who wanted to go up the west coast of Scotland with it. It worked OK, in fact I never got it back or paid for it. It was driven by a lightweight Ryobi 4 stroke strimmer engine driving a small Kubota alternator coupled through an inventor, sounds complicated perhaps, but it was all made from second hand stuff and was light enough to pick up with your little finger, I suppose petrol driven defeats the grean credentials of an E-bike though.

Powerbikes

Trade Member
Sep 11, 2017
Whitehaven
www.powerbikes.uk
Ouch, but pretty impressive. I'm still learning the technicalities of the battery on my bike. I've manufactured lightweight charging systems in the past for charging marooned equipment in remote areas, like forestry gear and quad bikes etc. I made one as a trial for a guy with an early Powabyke who wanted to go up the west coast of Scotland with it. It worked OK, in fact I never got it back or paid for it. It was driven by a lightweight Ryobi 4 stroke strimmer engine driving a small Kubota alternator coupled through an inventor, sounds complicated perhaps, but it was all made from second hand stuff and was light enough to pick up with your little finger, I suppose petrol driven defeats the grean credentials of an E-bike though.

Good work! I love home build projects like this. You could be onto something with a micro generator.