Help in choosing E Bike. ( Mountain Bike )

scotsmac

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 14, 2018
Im looking for an electric mountain bike.
My plan is clip the bike on back my camper van. When Im parked up I use the bike to commute.
I will use it mainly on forestry roads, and some light off roading.
I do lots Salmon fishing, so the bike would be used for up and down river tracks, and also to commute short distances rather than move the camper. Ill not be doing any extreme off roading.
Im 60 years old and overweight. So no spring chicken.
Im looking to spend no more than £1500.
What do you recommend for light off roading, good power on hills,
I live in London so good places to buy also help.
Another question. Is buying second hand an option ? Im always skeptical to buying a duff battery.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
2nd hand is a risk but you could land yourself a bargain. Sounds like you'd be better with a hardtail rather than full suspension.

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
Starting to see a few discounts appearing on 2018 bikes from the bike stores now as the major manufacturers start announcing their 2019 products. I'm sure the smaller manufacturers on here will be on shortly to tell you which of their wares is best!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
scotsmac,

I would definitely go for a full suspension bike on the forest trails and river tracks.
Your derriere will be most grateful!

scotsmac

Sep 14, 2018
Iv looked the Wosh Zephor and it looks good. However Im not in need of it being collapsable, and Im sure that makes it more expensive ?
I basically want a simple to operate bike, that got good power for a 90kg man to get up hills, and be good on road and forestry track.
Yes full suspension is good, but would it be a big bonus ???
Also looked the Roo Dog stiker and the Kudos Eiger, both look good also.
Iv noticed the larger wheels get better reports for off road. Would I go for the larger wheel.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Iv looked the Wosh Zephor and it looks good. However Im not in need of it being collapsable, and Im sure that makes it more expensive ?
I basically want a simple to operate bike, that got good power for a 90kg man to get up hills, and be good on road and forestry track.
Yes full suspension is good, but would it be a big bonus ???
Also looked the Roo Dog stiker and the Kudos Eiger, both look good also.
Iv noticed the larger wheels get better reports for off road. Would I go for the larger wheel.
Expensive? none of the woosh bikes is expensive. The Zephyr has an excellent 100mm RST Omega fork, lightweight with magnesium lowers, Tektro sensored hydraulic brakes, 36V 12AH battery, 26" wheels and Bafang SWX02 motor.
The front wheel has QR skewer, so it does not have to be folded to go on the rear seats or in the boot.
None of the bikes you mentioned is as light as the Zephyr. 26" x 2" tyres are perfect for rutted tracks.

scotsmac

Sep 14, 2018
Thanks for reply on the Woosh. It does look very good bike. I meant when I said expensive that I would be paying more for it being collapsable, I did not mean it s and expensive bike, its not.
Im thinking more and more to go for it, with the larger battery option. it looks perfect for my needs.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
A good hardtail with suspension seatpost like Suntour NCX would be fine for your riding.
not quite the same though. The rear suspension protects the rear rim and spokes against rutted surfaces that you find on forestry tracks and also feels more natural.

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
not quite the same though. The rear suspension protects the rear rim and spokes against rutted surfaces that you find on forestry tracks and also feels more natural.
True but there is more to go wrong and he talks about "light off-roading". An after-market suspension seat-post might be a better compromise, if he finds he needs one...

Jowwy

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2018
Not everyone wants a full suspension whoosh bike..............stop trying to sell on every post someone puts up

Reactions: bongofish

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Not everyone wants a full suspension whoosh bike..............stop trying to sell on every post someone puts up
My suggestion is based on personal experience.
I have the choice of the whole range of bikes.

• Dislike

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
  • Dislike

Jowwy

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2018
I did leave the hard sell. The OP didn't rule out the Zephyr though in his post #9.

http://pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/help-in-choosing-e-bike-mountain-bike.32579/#post-458640
The more you push....the less your advice will become effective or listened to. As people will just see you as a salesman, gagging for sales...........as they say less is more, give advice and then wait til they ask for more info. If they don't, then walk away. Then you don't come across as a pushy bike seller who knows better

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The more you push....the less your advice will become effective or listened to. As people will just see you as a salesman, gagging for sales...........as they say less is more, give advice and then wait til they ask for more info. If they don't, then walk away. Then you don't come across as a pushy bike seller who knows better
I am the salesman for Woosh on here. I suggest which woosh bikes would suit the OP's requirements best. You may not see any good in my suggestion but it's better than no suggestion.

scotsmac

Sep 14, 2018

I looked at the sprung seat, and it looks good. Your suggestion is a bike with no suspension, I imagine more bike for your money as no money for suspension. Could you recommend and good value bikes for me look at. ? As long as it can easily go on logging roads, and be ok on main roads I should be ok.
I have still not ruled out the Woosh, would just like look some options as I may not need full suspension.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
FS bikes have lot more things to go wrong and service. Creaks from worn pivot points is common problem especially when not service. Not show stopper but very annoying. Unless you really need a FS bike I'd go with HT.

If do need a FS then £3k is realistic starting point for one that will go the distance. For full on MTBing it is more like £4k.