Help matching my first e-bike wish list pls

rkm1983

Just Joined
Apr 30, 2017
London
Hello,

I'm in the process of buying my first e-bike and based on both my personal circumstances and some initial research I've done, have put together a wish list of requirements.

I am posting here in the hope I can get some suggestions on specific models I should consider.

I'm in my thirties but suffer with arthritis throughout my body which is the main reason for me going for an e-bike over a traditional bike. It's primary function will be for commuting to and from work and as a way for me to get more exercise on a weekend in and around London. I envisage it mostly being used on flat terrain. Comfort is key!

Here's my ideal wish list:

• step through design / upright sitting position
  • under 25kg (any more and I will struggle to lift)
  • pedal assist & throttle (at least 6mph on an independent throttle to fall back on if I'm having a flair up in arthritis)
  • Bosch drive / Shimano Step (but am open to other options in order to get throttle control)
  • Crank drive
  • hydraulic rim brakes
  • chain guard
  • suspension for potholes
  • Puncture proof tyres
  • front and rear lights
  • mudguards
  • kickstand
  • removalable speedometer

Budget: £2,000 Max (ideally less!)

I fully intend to go to a few dealers and try before I buy would still find some recommendations useful at this point.

Many thanks
RKM

Last edited:
Reactions: mountainsport

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
  • throttle (to fall back on if I'm having a flair up in arthritis)
  • mudguards
  • Bosch drive / Shimano Step (but am open to other options if in order to get throttle)
  • Crank drive
  • hydraulic rim brakes
  • chain guard
  • Puncture proof tyres
  • front and rear lights
  • kickstand

My Woosh Santana CD has almost all the items on your wish list except the motor is not Boash nor Shimano Step.
I don't think you can have a throttle with those motors.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana-cd

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and Gaz

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
our margin is too low to afford a showroom in London :(
Please come to see us in Southend - just an hour train ride and we are supposed to have some of the best fish and chips in the country!
And if you take you bike with you back on the train, we offer £20 off the cost of your bike!

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Hello,

I'm in the process of buying my first e-bike and based on both my personal circumstances and some initial research I've done, have put together a wish list of requirements.

I am posting here in the hope I can get some suggestions on specific models I should consider.

I'm in my thirties but suffer with arthritis throughout my body which is the main reason for me going for an e-bike over a traditional bike. It's primary function will be for commuting to and from work and as a way for me to get more exercise on a weekend in and around London. I envisage mostly being used on flat terrain.

Here's my ideal wish list:

• throttle (to fall back on if I'm having a flair up in arthritis)
  • mudguards
  • Bosch drive / Shimano Step (but am open to other options if in order to get throttle)
  • Crank drive
  • hydraulic rim brakes
  • chain guard
  • Puncture proof tyres
  • front and rear lights
  • kickstand

Budget: £2,000 Max (ideally less!)

I've test rode a couple of options, namely a Moustache, a Trek, an Ebco and a Reiss and Muller. The Moustache Samedi Open Xroad 1 was the best ride but is over budget so would really appreciate some other options.

I also appreicate that getting a throttle may limit my options so although ideal, I'm open to other options!

Many thanks
RKM
Hello RKM,

You will definitely find a bike in that price range. I am not clued up regards to the selling process but my best advice to you is to find a bike having both pedal assist and throttle if applicable. You will not be disappointed in the long and short of it, that is my personal preference.
Find, buy, ride and enjoy:)

MS.

• Informative

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Why rim brakes? Better off with discs surely.

I've a STEPS CD, but for commuting on the level, I'd seriously consider a hub drive next time.

Woosh's Satana certainly looks up your street:)

I'd consider a Wisper 705 Torque too.

Gaz

• Agree

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Gaz,

Hi RKM,

The Wisper 705Torque would be a good choice. Very comfortable, powerful and all but silent. Perfect for getting about in London. We have several service centres in and around London.

https://wisperbikes.com/e-bikes/705-torque-step-through/

If you woukd like to have a test ride, drop me an email and I will arrange for you.

All the best, David

amps1-050.jpg

705Torque.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Thank you RKM. When you come and visit us, may be worth checking out the Wispers on the same day. Wisper has a reseller (BikeBase) in the same street.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Thank you RKM. When you come and visit us, may be worth checking out the Wispers on the same day. Wisper has a reseller (BikeBase) in the same street.
Remember RKM, you have £2000 to spend therefore spoil yourself rotten and buy both bikes. Woosh plus Wisper equals double the fun. W+W= WoW! Why didn't I think of that in the first place. :rolleyes:

And by the way hurry while stocks last, sound familiar?

MS.

• :D
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
With commuting, you are frequently going end up stopped lights in wrong(high) gear. In this case CD with derailleur is worst combination while CD with IGH is excellent but most expensive >£2K. For totally automatic operation, Shimano STEPs plus Di2 IGH >£2500.

With rear hub drives you will need a throttle, alternatively front hub drive with IGH. Not sure how torque sensing rear hubs work in this situation, compared to cadence.

Which ever bike you choose, make sure getting rolling from unexpected stop in high gear will be easy.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
With commuting, you are frequently going end up stopped lights in wrong(high) gear. In this case CD with derailleur is worst combination
you came to that conclusion because you don't have a throttle on your CD bike. The Santana CD used to have 20A controller but I have reduced it to 18A recently. Evenso, 18A is enough to pull away in the wrong gear at a twist or a thumb push.
I rode the santana CD last week because the factory changed the handlebars. I could barely hear the motor with the new 18A controller.

Last edited: