Help me choose a bike for my commute

teapotHandle

Just Joined
May 4, 2017
Edinburgh
Hello,

I am a newbie, considering commuting to work by bike - about 8 miles each way, urban and quite hilly (that's Edinburgh for you!). I'm female, 5'7" and of average build.

I am having problems deciding what bikes to consider - I am told a crank motor is better, but I'd love to hear suggestions. My priority would be reliability and simplicity of maintenance, and a battery that makes it there and back!

I'd consider second hand, or ex-demo, but that is even more confusing to me!

So - wise and experienced people, what advice would you give me?

thanks all!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

if you don't know much about bikes, you're more or less stuck with buying one from a local dealer, so best to go and see what they have.

This business of crank-drives vs hub-motors is a nasty business. It's almost impossible to get sensible unbiased opinions, because everybody sees it from their own frame of reference instead of being empathetic. As an all-round cyclist and experienced cycling commuter. I can say that there's no doubt in my mind that hub-motors are better for commuting, shopping, etc; however, you need to choose the right one because some are more suitable for hills than others, and it's never clear which are which.

If we stick with hub-motors, even the crappy ones can climb pretty well when they're in small-wheeled bikes (typically folding bikes). In bigger wheeled bikes, you need to try one to see if it has enough torque. When you test a bike, always test it on a hill. that's what sorts them out. they're all different.

There's hundreds ofm bikes to choose from, but you can narrow it down a lot by telling us what's in your local shops.

teapotHandle

Just Joined
May 4, 2017
Edinburgh
Hi D8veh, that's a really helpful response - locally, the dealer has Moustache, Scott and Cube, amongst others (Electric Cycle Company in Edinburgh) and there is always Halfords. Wisper lists the ECC as a dealer, but they don't seem to have them.

Would you suggest a front or rear hub motor for commuting?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Teapot!

Ive just spoken to Neill at ECC in Edinburgh, he does have a couple of Wispers in stock for you to have a test ride. If he does not have the exact model that you require, he would be happy to get one in for you. His number is 0131 552 0999.

All the best, David

Reactions: teapotHandle

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hello Teapot,

I would recommend you two of our models: The Santana CD, crank drive, and the Santana2, rear hub drive.
Both are very capable hill climbers, reasonably priced and come with 15AH battery and throttle.
If you have any question, just ask.

The crank drive Santana:

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana-cd

The hub drive Santana:

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana2

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
if you are looking for less maintenance which you have stated in your post
then i would suggest looking for a e-bike with a belt on it to avoid of oiling chains a lot smoother and low maintenance but be warned this type of bikes do come at a cost maybe more than what you are intending to be paying

With commuting you always have to prepare for the worse for example a good set of tyres is a must the last thing you want is to be late for work
because you have a puncture on your bike which could happen without
any notice at all.

i would strongly advise a set of marathon plus tyres on your e-bike to keep the punctures down to the minimum and to just to throw yourself a life jacket just in case you do get a puncture which is possible put some sealant in your tubes like joes no flats all is require is just to use a co2 canister and blow the tyre back up and you are back on the road.

it's the most quickest way of sorted out a flat when you are commuting the co2 can be placed in your pocket to save you carrying loads fo tools with you always carry 2 canisters with you at all times just in case you do get another flat of course you will never know when these flats appears

i would strongly recommend trying out lots of bikes out before you do make the purchase because when you have bought the bike the second market for electric bikes are not worth nothing at all.

• Informative

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hub drive are so much user friendly then mid drive.
Today I rode side by side with a Yamaha drive bike, the rider of that bike was constantly peddling whilst I was only peddling about every 8th stoke as we tootled along at about 11mph.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hub drive are so much user friendly then mid drive.
Today I rode side by side with a Yamaha drive bike, the rider of that bike was constantly peddling whilst I was only peddling about every 8th stoke as we tootled along at about 11mph.
... But what effort was the Yamaha rider putting in. , And whose battery will give a longer duration ride.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if i ride round at 11mph the batt meter goes up as i ride round over 20mph most of the time and not much effort required.

its when you go over 30mph you have to start putting effort in max speed so far is 40mph on the flat with a 20t haibike sprocket but you cant sustain it.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
if i ride round at 11mph the batt meter goes up as i ride round over 20mph most of the time and not much effort required.

its when you go over 30mph you have to start putting effort in max speed so far is 40mph on the flat with a 20t haibike sprocket but you cant sustain it.
... Are you sure you are in mph not km.hr .. the only time I can achieve 40 + km HR is down hill and in a high gear.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
... Are you sure you are in mph not km.hr .. the only time I can achieve 40 + km HR is down hill and in a high gear.
SW has a huge (front) cog on his CX.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
... But what effort was the Yamaha rider putting in. , And whose battery will give a longer duration ride.
As long as the hub drive bike has a decent Torque Sensor, battery life will be as long if not longer. And effort needed to ride the bike will be about the same.

We will be selling our own range of crank drive bikes later this year so I don't have an axe to grind. Hub motors are simply better in many applications and mid drives better in others.

All the best, David

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: E-Wheels

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Great Choice Malcolm! Thanks for going for the Wisper in the end.

The mid drive bikes are a long way off and quite honestly the Wisper Torque will perform just as well if not better.

All the best, David

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I was only pulling your leg
Story of my life I buy something just as a new model is coming
There are two types of people in the world: Those who buy something just before a new model comes out, and those who never buy anything because they're always waiting on the next model coming out. ;)