Help me choose please!

Discussion in 'Which electric bike should I buy?' started by Mogberi, Apr 22, 2017.

1. IR772

IR772 Pedelecer

The cube has £10 tyres on it, what quality is everything else ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. egroover

egroover Pedelecer

Seriously, your judging the other components by something that everyone changes on every bike after buying ? The bike must be crap, it's got a £2 bell on it lol

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. soundwave

soundwave Pedelecer

the batt and motor costs £1400 if you had to buy them so the rest of the bike costs £600.

could the parts be better for the money then yes but the dealer has to make money somewhere and give 2 years warranty as well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Peter Thornton

Peter Thornton Finding my (electric) wheels

Not sure where you are but Wheelbase in Staveley were doing 15% off this week. Most popular bikes in the Cube range are on up to a month delivery, best check with dealers.
    Many bikes in a price range are very similar. If you compare the Kalkhoff and Cube range you will find that the bikes in a similar price range tend to have the same forks, gear sets, brakes etc.
    Ref the Kalkhoff motors, all the ones I looked at had the Bosch motor which is the same as the Cube.

5. Mogberi

Mogberi Just Joined

I did not see the touring one but will go back and have a look on Monday. Either way I think I will go for a Cube bike.

6. cosybike

cosybike Pedelecer

I concur with egroover. Mudguards and rack essential for your average uk user. Suspension fork for the higher speeds you maintain on rough ground and terrible roads! ebikes become your car and you find you use it more than you planned.

7. IR772

IR772 Pedelecer

Yes it says everything about the bike, I wore out my first set of tyres.

8. Croxden

Croxden Pedelecer

I still have the original tyres and never needed to change them, over 9000 miles on the Delite.
    Quality bikes cost more because of the use of quality parts.
    Everyone does not change tyres or have a mobile phone, why do you assume such things? Most people might, doesn't say there're right. More voted for Brexit didn't they?

9. Trevormonty

Trevormonty Pedelecer

The cube is good buy. Components are well specced for what you need it for. Deore are good midrange shifters. The brakes are lower end but a excellent when matched with 180mm disks and should prove reliable. An air fork would be nice but at this price you can't have everything. Most importantly it has brilliant motor with best battery.

Fit a Fox 32 fork and you would have excellent MTB.

10. Woosh

Woosh Trade Member

I wonder how much you would spend on a suspension fork?

11. egroover

egroover Pedelecer

You're comparing a Delite which retail at £4k+ with a bike that's half that price ? Quality bikes as you put it do cost much more because they use more expensive components, you don't get that for free you pay for it in the cost of the bike. I wouldn't expect to change the tyres on a £4k+ bike either. If Cube put Marathon Plus tyres on it's bikes they have to charge an extra £60 on the price of the bike, I'd be happy to have the choice if I want to change them or not. The point I was trying to make is that the rest of the componentry is good/excellent at this price point.
    I shouldn't of generalised with the term everyone, I thought it would of been obvious this didn't apply to very top end bikes (as yours)

12. egroover

egroover Pedelecer

So hows the £10 Schwalbes on the Cube any different to the £10 Schwalbe Rapid Robs they put on the Haibike Sduro SL29 ?

13. Peter Thornton

Having just gone through the purchase process I do think there's a real opportunity for one of the manufacturers to take a leaf out of Mini's book and offer a custom bike service.
    When you buy a Mini you basically just choose your body style and motor then can alter almost everything else.
    In the bike world, suppose you could settle on a frame and motor then choose to upgrade your saddle, add a suspension seat post, better brakes, forks, gearset, lighting, add a rack, maybe (in the case of Bosch,) upgrade the computer, add an adjustable stem, and finally choose a colour.
    I'd have had a better saddle, forks and computer with a different colour and would have probably spent a few hundred pounds extra.
    And yes, of course I can do all of these things later but will end up with a pile of unwanted components.
    I predict that the first manufacturer to really get behind this concept will drive their average selling price up by 10 - 25%

• Like Like x 1
  14. E-Wheels

E-Wheels Pedelecer

The idea comes at a price though

15. Peter Thornton

The fact is that it's the marginal gains that make profits for manufacturers. I used to reckon that if I could increase my turnover by 10% then it would add up to 40% to my net profit. So, when I bought my Mini I remember adding a wooden steering wheel for about £100. I bet that only cost £25 to add to the package.

16. Malcolm Stephenson

Malcolm Stephenson Finding my (electric) wheels

Yes but you start speccing cars up and the lead time increase

Just ordered a new fabia and delivery is quoted as November

Most people want a bike there and then and manufacturers certainly won't want to offer you the option of taking there seat off and putting Fred bloggs seat on

That would be down to the shop selling to stick bare frames motors etc and building it for you instore and warranty wise would be a.nightmare i suspect

17. soundwave

soundwave Pedelecer

18. Peter Thornton

Same with Mini, you can purchase one from stock if you want, but most people want to spec their own car. Most parts on most bikes seem to be bought in.
    It is more complicated to administer and takes a higher degree of organisation by the manufacturer and the suppliers, but based on my experience anyone offering it would pick up plenty of extra market share in addition to raising the average price of their final orders.
    But I agree that it will probably never happen and that there will still be a brisk trade on eBay for the discarded bits as purchases upgrade!

19. soundwave

soundwave Pedelecer

• Like Like x 1
  20. soundwave

soundwave Pedelecer

tho ktm bikes on here said no reason why they wont sell a frame so if you can get one of those and a Yamaha motor and batt it could be done.

if i have to buy a new bike all id want is the frame rear sus motor and batt.;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice