Help me choose please!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Im 5,11 90kl would be mostly on road not sure about buying 2nd hand as looks like you can soon spend a few quid on repairs so think I may be best buying new bike
give us a few of your priorities: front suspension? full suspension? wheel size: 26", 27.5, 28 or 29? your cadence? maximum miles you would ride in a day?

Volusia25

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2017
leicester
Some of the Roodog bikes look alright to be fair. I was going to post a used Carerra Vulcan E for you to look at on Ebay for 800 quid or best offer but nevermind

oddsere

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 4, 2017
pontefract
I was that confused too much info I bought this it had new battery and a spare that needs new charging port all the tecno stuff is too much for folk new to ebikes I know they are not the top of the tree but to be honest its a cracking bike for pleasure riding

MONTYSA

Feb 4, 2018
Essex
I spent months choosing an E Bike...I didn't want anything large,mega expensive and flashy. .just something to help me get around my work site..which is huge..following a stroke I had last year.. (walking around is a bit awkward now)..the first one I bought I returned to Halfords. .it wasnt suitable...so I kept looking..eventually a couple of months ago I came across the E Dragon from Evoscooters . I can't praise this bike enough. .good solid build..the independent throttle control is great to help get it going or going up a hill.(or you can cruise around on it if you wish)..and my Grandson thinks it looks "Well cool"..lol..it's given me a new lease of life and the battery lasts for ages (I also bought a spare one) I've had it about 7 weeks and I've only charged it twice!..it's also quite powerful (more so than the one I took back) so I tend to stay in modes 1&2.. mostly 1 though..that's well enough for my work site...I'm chuffed to bits with it ! (If it's listed as out of stock, if you call them they can sort one out for you..as they did with me)
Hi
Going down same trial as you been looking at bikes tried Crosscity at Halfords which like but no Throttle as have Arthritis would like one came across E Dragon can't try out but looks good. As you own one I'm wondering your opinion on suitability for someone like me being 6ft 1in and weighing 18st. Would not be using it a lot as want it for my Motor home.
Regards Keith

Sent from my P00C using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 4366

Hi
Going down same trial as you been looking at bikes tried Crosscity at Halfords which like but no Throttle as have Arthritis would like one came across E Dragon can't try out but looks good. As you own one I'm wondering your opinion on suitability for someone like me being 6ft 1in and weighing 18st. Would not be using it a lot as want it for my Motor home.
Regards Keith

Get yourself a Woosh Big Bear. It's a cheap, solid and powerful bike. Woosh support this forum too, so you won't get any problems with after sales support. At 18st, you need a bike with a strong motor and a big battery. Those cheap folding bikes will probably collapse under your weight and the tiny batteries won't get you very far, as you'll most likely be using maximum power all the time. The quoted range is for a light person pedalling hard on a flat road. A heavy person on a hilly ride, would be lucky to get much more than 10 miles.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Get yourself a Woosh Big Bear. It's a cheap, solid and powerful bike. Woosh support this forum too, so you won't get any problems with after sales support. At 18st, you need a bike with a strong motor and a big battery. Those cheap folding bikes will probably collapse under your weight and the tiny batteries won't get you very far, as you'll most likely be using maximum power all the time. The quoted range is for a light person pedalling hard on a flat road. A heavy person on a hilly ride, would be lucky to get much more than 10 miles.
Looking for a post in the diplomatic service?

MONTYSA

Feb 4, 2018
Essex
Whoosh big bear a bit expensive for me at around £1000. Looks good though. Was after folding as want to fit it on double bike rack with wife's wheel chair. Folded should be able to fit both. Making rack to fit on bumper to take her Mobility scooter if it works could go for full size bike.
Other problem is lift a 25kg bike up on to cycle rack about 4ft high folding bike looking at 17kg plus £500.
Don't want to spend to much money as properly only use it 30 miles per year if that.
Always open to more suggestion. Keith

D

Deleted member 4366

Whoosh big bear a bit expensive for me at around £1000. Looks good though. Was after folding as want to fit it on double bike rack with wife's wheel chair. Folded should be able to fit both. Making rack to fit on bumper to take her Mobility scooter if it works could go for full size bike.
Other problem is lift a 25kg bike up on to cycle rack about 4ft high folding bike looking at 17kg plus £500.
Don't want to spend to much money as properly only use it 30 miles per year if that.
Always open to more suggestion. Keith

I'd say that you're too big and heavy for one of those lightweight folding bikes. They tend to have low power too, so you run a fair risk of blowing the controller or burning the motor on any hill.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
30 miles a year is no use for an electric bike and battery cells have a shelf life so won't last indefinitely, when the battery come to being replaced the bike running cost will have worked out as very high.

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
One for the OP to look at is the Halfords Carrera Crossfuse, well under budget at £1,600 and uses the Bosch Active Line+ Crank Drive motor, although battery is just 400wh, although I would not have thought that to be a deal breaker in anyway.

MONTYSA

Feb 4, 2018
Essex
One for the OP to look at is the Halfords Carrera Crossfuse, well under budget at £1,600 and uses the Bosch Active Line+ Crank Drive motor, although battery is just 400wh, although I would not have thought that to be a deal breaker in anyway.
Well over budget Started looking £350,then went £625 might go £1000 and little bit more. Wife thinks still looking 350. Seen a couple of bikes 500watt motor can be set to legal 250w at touch of switch. But would that be legal if I had crash. Looking at big bear again maybe able to stretch to that money swoosh shop at Southend on sea is not to far from me.
Keith

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
20" wheel cargo bike can carry weight (180kg max)Tern is one example. Their bosch powered one is to expensive.

Ideally find small 20" cargo bike and fit hub drive. Being 20" wheel hub motor will give better climbing ability at cost of top end speed.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Go and visit Woosh not only near to you but great CS plus you can see and try the bikes in the flesh.

Ideal World folding bike £625 but often discounted on the web when they have a TV sale which is usually every 2 or 3 months heavy though at stated 27kg with max load 18.9st.

D

Deleted member 4366

Seen a couple of bikes 500watt motor can be set to legal 250w at touch of switch.
Don't think that those 500w bikes are more powerful. They don't give enough torque for your weight, so will be as good as useless for you because you'll most likely be pushing it up the hills. All this will make sense when you try a few.

MONTYSA

Feb 4, 2018
Essex
Don't think that those 500w bikes are more powerful. They don't give enough torque for your weight, so will be as good as useless for you because you'll most likely be pushing it up the hills. All this will make sense when you try a few.
our about bafang volicity 350w going on ebay.
Thanks for support

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 4366

our about bafang volicity 350w going on ebay.
Thanks for support

It's difficult to say without them saying which motor and controller it has. If you take their ad at face value it should be OK.

MONTYSA

Feb 4, 2018
Essex
It's difficult to say without them saying which motor and controller it has. If you take their ad at face value it should be OK.
well took your advice went to Southend now proud owner Woosh Big bear
Thanks for all the help
Regards Keith

Reactions: Gaz