Help please :)

Steve H

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 12, 2017
Manchester
HI there

Been looking at electric bikes for a while now as I really need to do some form of cardio exercise. The trouble is that my legs are in bad shape following a motorcycle accident a few years ago. So I'm looking for a bike that has a good range more than anything else.

I think to start with I could stretch to £1500 which I know is on the lower end of what you could potentially spend. But I'm not sure that cycling won't be as painful as walking, so need to err on the side of caution just in case I spend a lot of money and can't use the thing!

But cycling is low impact which will certainly be the best way for me to get my body moving. But range is important as I may well get a reasonable distance away from my home and find I need full assist to get me home. I'd hate to get stuck somewhere.

I'm hoping for a mountain bike style. I did look at the GTECH as they have had some offers on one of the shopping channels where you can spread the cost over a few months with no interest. So that takes the edge of parting with the money :) But I am concerned that with no gears and the smaller battery that it would take too much out of me.

Thanks for reading and for any input

Steve

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Steve H

Jul 12, 2017
Manchester
Man there are so many bikes out there....I thought I had seen most of them. But my first reaction on clicking your link was.....that looks badass :)

Actually I have what might be a silly question as well. When you pull away on an electric bike, does it make a difference what gear you are in? Or does the hub drive the wheel independently of the gears?

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Re gears. With a hub drive not so critcal as you are recieving assistance (usually in the 50% 100% 200% range)

Best get a test ride and prepare to blow your mind with new found bionic legs - and giggle like a schoolgirl as you go up hills changing up through the gears rather than down.

There are quite a few reviews here on the Oxygen i.e. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/oxygen-scross-mtb-ongoing-review.28142/

Budget for a good security lock!

D

Deleted member 4366

All those mentioned are good bikes. My favourite is the Oxygen because I've ridden them many times, and I must admit that I've not ridden the others yet. I can tell you that the Oxgen is as badass as it looks.

Reactions: Steve H

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Wilco in Swinton or Ken Fosters in Chorlton would be worth a visit for you to try a small selection of bikes. Our own workshop in New Mills also stock Raleighs and Wispers to try a broader range of bikes.

• Useful
Reactions: Steve H

Steve H

Jul 12, 2017
Manchester
Ken Fosters! Is that the one that used to be a motorcycle shop? I bought my daughters first ever bike from there.