Help with rebuilding old Panasonic Motor Kalkhoff bike

Baboonking

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Watford
After a long break from e-biking I recently got hold of a second hand Kalkhoff Pro-Connect with a 24v Panasonic drive. The bike has so far been working well and I've been making lots of modifications and repairs. I've taken off the motor/housing to reroute some of the brake/gear cables and also check the drive gears for grease and maybe add some more.

I've been following Flecc's excellent Panasonic info site http://www.flecc.co.uk/p/panindex.html and have taken off the motor from the drive. Unfortunately whilst it came off OK,I can't get it back on, or more specifically, on my drive the phase wires are too short to connect, or my fingers are too fat. So it looks like I'm going to have to fix the motor back on from this side and then try to connect the phase wires from the other side. Does anyone have any tips before I open up the six bolts and try to separate the housing into two halves?

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

I would also like to add a supplementary battery at some point, possibly to the frame bottle mounts ie the 'dolphin' style battery pack or maybe I'll just put something in the panniers. I'd like to wire the extra 24v battery into the main wiring loom under the existing battery and then switch it on when I need it rather than running in parallel. However I notice there's a sense wire in addition to the positive and negative. Does anyone know what this wire does? and will I be able to just wire an extra connection to the positive and negative terminals for the new battery or will the controller not like it?

DSC_0019.JPG

Some pics of the bike are below, the guy I bought it off had himself got it second hand and didn't know much about it. Anyone know how old it is? It came with an e-bike vision battery which is not the original but works well, and and the Alfine 8 gear hub.

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0024.JPG
DSC_0025.JPG

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes it is very tricky to connect those motor cables and always best to split the crankcase. Fortunately once parted it's much easier to deal with the content than on the old unit which had more complex innards.

On my site just look at the old unit stripping information first to see how to deal with the pedelec shaft components as you part it, since those are the same on both.

The one difficulty you might find is if the crankcase halves are firmly stuck together. The one of the later unit I split was very firmly stuck, but since someone else had already parted and reassemble it before, they may have applied the sealant. I've never known Panasonic use sealant on the old units I've split.

Reactions: Baboonking

Advertisers