Help with this rear bafang bpm

nickgeneric

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 20, 2017
U.K.
Hello I have been loitering on this group for a while - thanks to those who have already inadvertently helped me!

I recently bought the motor below - see photo - (think it's a bpm rated at 250 36v) it's up and working fine. However regardless of the top speed settings In the LCD (ktlcd3) I can not achieve assistance above 23kph.
Battery is a 36v 13ah. The settings advised were p1 87 and p2 1.

I was assuming I should be able to get more speed
out of the motor? Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks all in advance.
Nick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
What is your max speed set to in the LCD? What size wheel is that? How much do you and your bike weigh?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
your motor is too small to be a BPM.

This is the size of a BPM laced to a 26" wheel:

• Informative
Reactions: VictoryV

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Assuming you have a KT controller are there a pair of white wires connected together ?
If so it is speed limited, disconnect them to get 30% more speed up to 19/20mph for 201rpm and more for a faster wound hub.
Looks like a 120mm SWX hub.

P1 & P2 are same as my settings for KT LCD.
How about P3 - P5.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Bafang SWXH 120mm hub.

nickgeneric

Mar 20, 2017
U.K.
Bafang SWXH 120mm hub.
Thanks, slightly disappointing as that's not how it was sold.

Do you know if there are "versions" of this one. By chance are you able to confirm the p1 and 2 settings?

Thanks to all for the help so far.

Nick.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

nickgeneric

Mar 20, 2017
U.K.
Assuming you have a KT controller are there a pair of white wires connected together ?
If so it is speed limited, disconnect them to get 30% more speed up to 19/20mph for 201rpm and more for a faster wound hub.
Looks like a 120mm SWX hub.

P1 & P2 are same as my settings for KT LCD.
How about P3 - P5.
Hi Nealh. Thanks this post came in my timeline after the other one!

Assuming the 120 refers to the installation widths it can't be as it's definitely a 135... it's in the rear wheel with a cassette rather than freewheel fitting.

Cheers

Nick.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Assuming the 120 refers to the installation widths
120mm is the approximate diameter of the motor shell.
Those motors fit 135mm rear dropout.

nickgeneric

Mar 20, 2017
U.K.
120mm is the approximate diameter of the motor shell.
Those motors fit 135mm rear dropout.
Thanks Woosh! I still clearly have a lot to learn. Shame the bafang website does not name them in the same way! :).

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Shame the bafang website does not name them in the same way!
the bafang website only promotes the newest models.
I don't know if we should blame them.

nickgeneric

Mar 20, 2017
U.K.
the bafang website only promotes the newest models.
I don't know if we should blame them.
I would agree blame is too much! But an old products archive would be a good idea (I will look for one this evening).

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Motor rpm will dictate speed along with voltage.
A 201 rpm will get up to 19mph a 328 rpm up to 27mph at 36v, more at 48v and as above in AK's link even faster with mods.
Controllers also dictate the speed via their programming, some will have the speed link connection some won't.
135mm is a std width for rear geared hubs, the exception being Xiongad at 145mm. Also a new range of wider hubs for fat bike. Diameters are usually 120mm or 180mm though newer models of about 160mm are appearing.

nickgeneric

Mar 20, 2017
U.K.
Thanks Nealh very helpful - I will take a look at the controller this weekend to see if it could be that.

Nick

nickgeneric

Mar 20, 2017
U.K.
Motor rpm will dictate speed along with voltage.

So opened up the controller in the dolphin this evening. To be honest I am not sure what I am looking at! :(.

Can anyone tell me if they can tell if it's this can be limiting the speed?

Thanks.
Nick.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If by the above you mean you opened the Dolphin battery, then you will not find any help in there !!!
The controller is in metal box unless of course it is integrated at the base of the batter, follow the motor wire it will go to the controller.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Let's go right back to start. You should only measure speed with the wheel off the ground, so charge the battery right up, then measure the speed. That's the actual maximum speed of the motor.

Go for a ride until your battery goes right down. Before charging the battery, check the speed again. If the speed is identical to the previous test, the controller is limiting the speed. If it's slower than the previous test, the motor is limiting the speed.

When you come back with the speed measurement results, we can advise you how to improve it. Don't waste your time doing anything else.

nickgeneric

Mar 20, 2017
U.K.
Let's go right back to start. You should only measure speed with the wheel off the ground, so charge the battery right up, then measure the speed. That's the actual maximum speed of the motor.

Go for a ride until your battery goes right down. Before charging the battery, check the speed again. If the speed is identical to the previous test, the controller is limiting the speed. If it's slower than the previous test, the motor is limiting the speed.

When you come back with the speed measurement results, we can advise you how to improve it. Don't waste your time doing anything else.
Good point thanks. Speed at full charge is 24 kph now to run the battery down......