Help?

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
You confused me whether you like the idea of a MTB bike or a roady bike....You may wish to look at our new Kudos Sprint,the semi integral battery installation is very neat,the 24" wheels and long seat post allows this bike to be ridden by someone less than 5ft,it has good hill climbing power,price £895.00
If you want a more conventional step thru the Kudos Verona and Milano are good value at £795.00,your height is ok.
I would avoid any crank drive which has torque sensor and any torque sensor e-bike,you need to put power in to get power out,your health may not allow you to do that.
It is not necessary to spend your budget of £1500.00
Good luck with your search.
KudosDave
Dave, just looked at the eiger with the Nuvinci option this ticks a lot of the boxes can I do without a throttle?

Can you contrive a 2015 frame to accommodate throttle?

How does the TCM Crank drive stack up against Bafang?

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I was interested in getting a Kudos myself but now cannot get a 2016 one with a throttle
Only one of mine has a throttle, it's a walking pace thingy. Both bikes have PAS sensors, so even if you turn the pedals very slowly, the bikes still go along at whatever power setting you have.

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Oh dear, another OEM ebike with IGH using a chain Tentioner, how shoddy I have to say.

How hard can it be to get a frame with Sliding Drop-Out's, I really do despair, having said that even Riese & Muller use to do the same on there £5k+ ebikes that came with IGH, thankfully they have at least seen the light with there more recent models, and introduced frames which have Sliding Drop-Out's.

Still the above bike is some kind of progress in that it is not using derailleur gears, well done Kudos for that at least.

• Disagree
Reactions: Artstu and Andy88

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Oh dear, another OEM ebike with IGH using a chain Tentioner, how shoddy I have to say.

How hard can it be to get a frame with Sliding Drop-Out's, I really do despair, having said that even Riese & Muller use to do the same on there £5k+ ebikes that came with IGH, thankfully they have at least seen the light with there more recent models, and introduced frames which have Sliding Drop-Out's.

Still the above bike is some kind of progress in that it is not using derailleur gears, well done Kudos for that at least.
Im not clear on sliding dropouts can you send a pic of sliding and non sliding please? Sorry to trouble u

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Only one of mine has a throttle, it's a walking pace thingy. Both bikes have PAS sensors, so even if you turn the pedals very slowly, the bikes still go along at whatever power setting you have.
Aha ok this useful to know.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Reactions: Andy88

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
chain tension

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Aha, I got it… alternatively a chain tensioner, which is something different but does the same job? But according to Roloff boy not as efficiently?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yes ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the last 2 are thru axles i have it on my bike on the rear but it is part of the frame.

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Nothing wrong with using a Chain Tentioner, if the Rohloff/Nuvinci 360 is a retro fit, but on an OEM bike, it has to be Sliding Drop-Out's if the job is to be done properly.

An eccentric bottom bracket is not really an option on a Crank Drive ebike, although I have seen a Chain Tentioner used at the motor sprocket end, when an IGH is being used, not very elegant, being a compromise solution.

Also if using a Rohloff it's nice to have Sliding Drop-Out's that have an elongated slot on the Disc site, so that the OEM torque arm can be used instead of SpeedBone (SpeedMonkey) arrangement.

Not sure what the Nuvinci 360 uses for Torque supresion, maybe some kind of Torque Arm, will have look what the OEM solution is for that.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Nothing wrong with using a Chain Tentioner, if the Rohloff/Nuvinci 360 is a retro fit, but on an OEM bike, it has to be Sliding Drop-Out's if the job is to be done properly.

An eccentric bottom bracket is not really an option on a Crank Drive ebike, although I have seen a Chain Tentioner used at the motor sprocket end, when an IGH is being used, not very elegant, being a compromise solution.

Also if using a Rohloff it's nice to have Sliding Drop-Out's that have an elongated slot on the Disc site, so that the OEM torque arm can be used instead of SpeedBone (SpeedMonkey) arrangement.

Not sure what the Nuvinci 360 uses for Torque supresion, maybe some kind of Torque Arm, will have look what the OEM solution is for that.
Right, it can get quite involved and easy to make an incorrect configuration in a conversion if not careful?

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep the Nuvinci 360 appears to take care of Torque via the axel nut's as it does not use a QR skewer like on the Roholoff.

I would say that the Nuvinci 360 is more suited to Ebikes than the Rohloff, due to it's cvt operation, although personally I prefer the idea of having a definite gear to be in.

I need to have a ride on a Nuvinci 360 equipped ebike, to convince me otherwise.