Hi, a new electric bike owner here.

splodman

Just Joined
Apr 15, 2011
Hi all, just introducing myself and bike. I live in the cotswolds and it has plenty of nice roads but you are always not far from a hill or gentle incline. I wanted an electric bike to get to work when I don't need the car without getting sweaty (only 4 miles) and possibly to get out to customers in a 10 mile radius. The electric assist to encourage me to use it more.

I ended up doing a conversion of my existing bike, a reasonable Trek around 8 years old in good condition. The conversion is an ebay special - a brushless 200W front wheel and 36V 20Ah LiFePo4 battery both direct from Hong Kong. I started with SLAs, they were cheap and pretty dreadful, but got me going. I've just fitted the new battery and it is heaps better - should get 30-40 miles no problem without pedaling and plenty more with (I usually pedal, but it is nice to be able to take a break). I also changed the front forks for some Powabyke suspension forks as they were a bit sturdier.

It also has custom lighting - a dc-dc converter to run rear leds and the fronts are 3x3W leds running on the 36v. The throttle is also custom - it is a rotary potentiometer to pre-set the speed and a push button to engage the motor, I find this easier than a throttle for the countryside runs as I just keep a finger lightly on the button to go. As I'm an electronics engineer I like to play!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Splodman, welcome to the forum. That sounds like an interesting bike you have there, one you create for yourself is always rather special. I bet it won't stay as it is before you think of another improvement!