Hi all!

RobbieBear

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 16, 2018
I am an overweight 20 stone guy who has now decided that electric is the way forwards.

TBH my current bike (Merida CX4) has sat unused for a long time now as I just don't ride it because I fear the inclines. I don't want to get rid of it though as I hope that one day I will be light and fit enough to ride it again.
My wife struggles with the idea of getting an ebike to lose weight when I have a perfectly good one that would, in her opinion, be better for this goal. The issue is I just don't want to ride it to have to push it up hills.

I would like to be able to ride road as well as tow paths, gravel tracks and forest trails and am thinking that a mountain bike would be the best bet. Am I on the right lines?
I have been reading this forum and am still unsure as to the best motor system to get.

My budget is around £2500 and there seems to be a bewildering range available within that. I am leaning towards just front suspension rather than full and don't want too aggressive a riding position.

I do want to source the bike from a local bike shop in order to have the support in the future.

I had a look today at the Oxygen S Cross MTB at a Wilco Motor Spares store that is only a few miles from home. They have reduced it (brand new) to £1300, which sounds cheap. My questions would be:
  • Will I get decent backup from this kind of retailer (the reason for the reduction is they are not going to be stocking Oxygen bikes in the future)
  • If I doubled my spend on a more expensive bike, would that see a really worthwhile difference in reality?
Be gentle guys - this is all new to me.

RobbieBear

Aug 16, 2018
Hi Soundwave
Thanks for link.

What would this bike give me over the Oxygen?

Being used to 105 on my Merida, what groupset would I need on an ebike, or is it not that simple a comparison.

Also, I read that the mid motors make use of the bikes gears whereas wheel hub ones don't. I am being a bit thick here but what do the gears do on a hub motor bike?

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I read that the mid motors make use of the bikes gears whereas wheel hub ones don't. I am being a bit thick here but what do the gears do on a hub motor bike?
Hi
Mid drive obviously drives through the gears with you , where a hub drive doesn’t so you don’t have the power or flexibility for hill climbing Like you do with mid drive
Think of a hub drive basically like leaving your car in one gear all the time
Obviously you still have drive from you going through gears but not the assistance
Hope this helps

RobbieBear

Aug 16, 2018
Thanks
So in terms of hiĺl climbing, which is really why I want electric assist, I would be able to get up hills that I would still struggle up on a hub?
I suppose that going downhill, I would spin out quicker on a hub motor too?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
hub motors are more for commuting to work on so if you want something that can also climb hills and be good of road then you want a mid drive motor.

group set wise its just as a normal bike but i have 12spd eagle on mine now and that will climb anything.

top speed wise it wont matter unless you use a dongle to remove the speed limit but with my bosch 18t front and 10 at the rear can hit over 30mph on the flat tho max rpm will be required 120rpm.

DSC_0111.JPG
dongle