Hi from an old geezer

cbalmforth

Just Joined
Aug 17, 2011
I looked at electric bicycles back in January and was really impressed with the progress in technology over the last couple of years. I guess we have to thank the mobile phone industry for the batteries, and the model airplane industry for the brushless motors. But most of all the Chinese for making all this possible at a really good price!

My wife and I have a narrowboat and I was looking for something to replace my folding bike to make it easier to go get the shopping when we are out cruising. As an ex-motorcyclist I was dazzled by the power and speed claims of the Alien Bikes Apollo, so without a great deal of further research I placed an order. When it arrived I went out for a ride and was completely bowled over by it. What a great bike! Fast, good up hills and with a battery that seemingly lasted forever. Unfortunately when I took it to the boat I couldn't find a sensible place to stow it away! Man toy, lovely but completely impractical.

At that point I came to my senses and took a step back. What I really needed was electric power for the perfectly good folding cycles which we already owned. I bought a 250W front wheel kit for one of the bikes and it was a much better fit for our particular needs. We took both bikes on a 4 week cruise this summer and I found myself using the smaller bike for preference whenever I could. It was just too much hassle getting the big bike off and back on the boat.

So, in a day or two you will see my advert in the classifieds for my lovely Alien Apollo. I will also be happy to share my experiences in converting folding bikes to electric power.

Chris

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Good to hear that you've enjoyed the best of two worlds Chris, hope you have many years of happy e-biking with boating.

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
hi, look forward to your photos and details of your conversion and how you stow it on the boat.......
do you live on the narrow boat or just a hobby boat ?

regards