Hi from New 48V SWX02 Build in Surrey

Tarmacexpert1962

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 29, 2018
Esher
Hi All, I am now 140 miles into riding with my first build a Carrera Vulcan with a Woosh Bafang 48v SWX02 rear hub, Have built quite a few road bikes and MTBs over the years for the family so felt comfortable and really enjoyed putting it together. I am delighted with this machine as it has so much low end grunt and just demolishes the off road climbs, 48V really does give it some oomph and I feel much happier with a legal 250w, its also extremely quiet and refined and off road will do 35 + miles range (12Ah) with lots of climbing over to the Surrey Hills and a lot of assist at levels 4 -5 up the climbs. In fact in Richmond Park and the Thames Towpath you need to tone it down on level otherwise I feel like a Hooligan!! I run tubeless 2.3 inch Knobbly MTB Tyres and run at a low 30 psi for off road, I am sure with higher pressures and skinnier tyres on tarmac it will be much further. Picked up the Carrera Vulcan for just £230 doubling up vouchers and 20% Halfords discount. Its a 27.5 inch frame and converts nicely to 26" Wheel front and rear (Might try it with the 27.5" Front at some stage) The whole machine weighs 20.5 KG Looked at converting my existing Mountain bikes but simpler to buy the Vulcan using a 9 speed Freewheel , its running a 42T front Chainring and removed the granny ring, front shifter, front derailleur etc as i soon realised 9 gears is plenty with the power. Has PAS plus hand throttle, I am 6ft and about 82 KG and a regular cyclist, my nemesis is Hereditary Motor Sensory Neuropathy which means a real lack of Watts in my legs and feeling in my feet and boy does this new motor give me back those Watts again plus some...am now a Keen Mountain biker rather than the Road despite the silly name - a relic of my Road bike days....I just love the fact I can now do a good 30 odd mile MTB ride in about 2ish hours and not feel totally trashed but still have a decent work out. It will be going out to Chamonix in July/Aug for a few weeks and should be a revelation in the Alps.This site has been invaluable and having first looked at Front wheel conversions and realising that after reading advice here and for off road low torque then the way forward was an SWX02 on the rear. Thanks Guys... !! Vulcan.jpg

Reactions: Fat Rat

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Nice ride
And welcome
The more self builds i see the more i like :)