Hi from Oxfordshire

karolis

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 19, 2017
Oxford
Hi, I am new to here.

I have had 4 bikes at some point, now passed them all on to someone else and have one lovely bike which I have build myself (including the wheels!). I am hoping to find some answers here on how to turn it in to a pedelec commuter that my wife could use for her 11mile-one-way commute to work. There are so many conversion kits there that got me very confused about which is the best for my needs.

I am thinking of getting a Heinzmann system (£1300) but then a Sparticle kit (£700) is half the price so please share some thoughts if you have any opinion on that. I am trying to be pragmatic, build something that will not cost me a fortune but still will last me more than 4 years. Thanks!http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/conversion-kits/heinzmann-classic-system/

Best regards,
Karolis

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

Post a picture of your bike and tell us what you want the kit to do. We'll tell you how to get what you want.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

karolis

Jun 19, 2017
Oxford
Hi,

Thanks, I am after having a reliable system, that in terms of quality would equal to something like Kalkhoff Agattu (which I had some luck to ride some time ago). It is only commuting to work that I need this upgrade for. Other than that:
  • Budget max £1400 (would happily spend less than that)
  • Making 11miles one way to work in around 35 minutes on a flat terrain (ie. probably ~ 20mph on average).
  • Battery:
    • a full charge at least 50 miles
    • would last me at least 4 years

Here I have posted few pics of my current bike that I have been using daily for the last few years since I built it. It a mountain bike frame with 26'' wheels and steel fork. (sorry, it needs a bit of a clean haha)

Thanks
K

IMG_20170620_165417.jpg IMG_20170620_165436.jpg IMG_20170620_165452.jpg IMG_20170620_165504.jpg

Attachments

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it wont go 1fps if you put os x on it id give windows 10 a try first ;)

karolis

Jun 19, 2017
Oxford
Thanks for sharing this, I am now looking into the ways of building this.

I have read it somewhere on the forum that you did even longer commutes, did you encounter any failures of the motor or other parts of this set up?

Many thanks.

karolis

Jun 19, 2017
Oxford
Hi,

I have ordered the parts and getting ready to build the bike now. Would you recommend a suspension fork for commuting? Also, I guess that you have hidden the controller in that little bag, is that correct?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

I haven't been far with this motor, but I've used many other motors over many thousands of miles and never had a problem with any of them. I'm sure this one will be as reliable as the rest.

The only problems I had in over 10000 miles of e-biking were:
Crank came loose on the square taper;
Fell off on ice, which cut the motor wire;
Punctures.

I've never been stranded on my own bike, though I have on other people's bikes that got punctures.

Suspension forks are OK for commuting. The older air ones like Rockshox Rebas and Fox Floats are the best if you have a standard 1 1/8" steering head. If you want to go fast with minimal power, rigid ones are better, but not so comfortable.

Yes, the controller is in the bag.