Hi from St Leonards

Steve Bowles

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2018
St Leonards, England
Just joined the forum, and just purchased a Riese-Muller Charger GT Nuvinci from Electric Bike Sales in Cambridge. I'm just waiting for Bosch to catch up on their battery production. I'm told it should be dispatched by the end of the week.

All of you know how excited you are anticipating delivery. I'm 68 years old and haven't been this excited about something in decades!

I hope this forum isn't going to be like my wet-shaving forum where you get into it to save money, and then spend hundreds/thousands on add-ons. :)

Don't know where to begin, so I'm going to peruse the threads, and come up with questions.

Cheers!

Reactions: tommie
D

Deleted member 4366

Just joined the forum, and just purchased a Riese-Muller Charger GT Nuvinci from Electric Bike Sales in Cambridge. I'm just waiting for Bosch to catch up on their battery production. I'm told it should be dispatched by the end of the week.

All of you know how excited you are anticipating delivery. I'm 68 years old and haven't been this excited about something in decades!

I hope this forum isn't going to be like my wet-shaving forum where you get into it to save money, and then spend hundreds/thousands on add-ons. :)

Don't know where to begin, so I'm going to peruse the threads, and come up with questions.

Cheers!
Welcome to the forum. Ask any questions on any subject except Brexit, politics, helmets and speed limits.

Did I misunderstand you or are are you really trying to save money by buying a Riese & Muller Charger with Nuvinci? If you're not, I'm sure we can give you lots of suggestions for how to spend lots more money on it. I was going to say: starting with a chain-wear tool, though that won't work if you have a toothed belt, but you could get one anyway if you want to waste your money like the rest of them.

• :D
Reactions: Benjahmin

Steve Bowles

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2018
St Leonards, England
Welcome to the forum. Ask any questions on any subject except Brexit, politics, helmets and speed limits.

Did I misunderstand you or are are you really trying to save money by buying a Riese & Muller Charger with Nuvinci? If you're not, I'm sure we can give you lots of suggestions for how to spend lots more money on it. I was going to say: starting with a chain-wear tool, but that won't work if you have a toothed belt.
Yeah, the bike has the Gates belt drive. I opted for something that didn't require maintenance as I am a complete sod with anything mechanical. My bike will only do 15mph, so I'm not worried about speed limits. I have the Bosch Nyon and all my projected routes are "scenic".
I jokingly remarked about saving money because I started with one razor, and ended up with 20. It's a rabbit hole in any hobby, and I'm sure the guys on the forum are eager to enable my Acquisition Disorder.

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Hello & welcome Steve :)

If no-one else is going to ask, I will..... what's your best razor then?

Gaz

Steve Bowles

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2018
St Leonards, England
Hello & welcome Steve :)

If no-one else is going to ask, I will..... what's your best razor then?

Gaz
The second razor I ever bought. A Merkur 39c. It's a slant-head razor that sells for about £40. I have friends on the forum www.theshavingroom.com that will spend £300+ for a stainless steel razor. Not necessary. The Muhle R89 is a great razor to start with, too.

D

Deleted member 4366

I paid £60 for a Phillips electric one about 15 years ago. After replacing the battery last year for about a tenner, it's still going strong and shaves me nicely, and quickly.

I didn't realise people still did wet shaving!

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
If I didn't have three years worth of soaps and creams, and 10 years worth of blades, so would I. I can't think of anything else I might need for my bike, but I'm sure the membership will steer me straight.
In the three months I have had my ebike:
Muc-Off
Front light
Rear lights * 3
Mudguards (front and rear)
Chain oil (obviously not needed on a belt!)
Gloves
Helmet
Helmet cover
Lock
Saddle
Half face mask
Neoprene boots
Bell

And I am sure I must have missed things!

Steve Bowles

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2018
St Leonards, England
In the three months I have had my ebike:
Muc-Off
Front light
Rear lights * 3
Mudguards (front and rear)
Chain oil (obviously not needed on a belt!)
Gloves
Helmet
Helmet cover
Lock
Saddle
Half face mask
Neoprene boots
Bell

And I am sure I must have missed things!
I've got about half of those, and my bike hasn't been delivered, yet. Some of the items were already equipped on the bike.

Steve Bowles

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2018
St Leonards, England
I paid £60 for a Phillips electric one about 15 years ago. After replacing the battery last year for about a tenner, it's still going strong and shaves me nicely, and quickly.

I didn't realise people still did wet shaving!
It's like any male hobby. There are myriad soaps, creams, razors, blades, brushes, etc. to spend your money on. There's nothing more relaxing than building a lather with a brush in a scuttle with warm water, and getting a baby-bum smooth (BBS) shave when you have the time to enjoy it.

D

Deleted member 4366

There's nothing more relaxing than building a lather with a brush in a scuttle with warm water, and getting a baby-bum smooth (BBS) shave when you have the time to enjoy it.
Very true. The trouble is that it's gone in half an hour, then you wait 24 hours before doing it again. so not worth the effort - for me, anyway.

I only clean my bike once a year too for a similar reason.

Unless your tyres are punctureproof, you should think about changing them. In the meantime, you need to carry a pump and a puncture repair kit. I'm now of the opinion that puncture repair kits are not necessary if you have Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres. I no longer carry one on my electric bike because I've had no punctures in 4 years and 5000 miles. Before that, I used to get a puncture every few hundred miles, on average.

Steve Bowles

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2018
St Leonards, England
Very true. The trouble is that it's gone in half an hour, then you wait 24 hours before doing it again. so not worth the effort - for me, anyway.

I only clean my bike once a year too for a similar reason.

Unless your tyres are punctureproof, you should think about changing them. In the meantime, you need to carry a pump and a puncture repair kit. I'm now of the opinion that puncture repair kits are not necessary if you have Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres. I no longer carry one on my electric bike because I've had no punctures in 4 years and 5000 miles. Before that, I used to get a puncture every few hundred miles, on average.
I think the bike I'm getting has the Schwalbe Moto-X tires that seem to hold up pretty well, and aren't prone to punctures. My biggest fear about getting a bike was dealing with punctures out in the boonies.

And about the shaving ritual, yes you do have to do it again every few days, but that's your personal time and Zen -- much like being on an electric bike in this green and pleasant land.

MandoKeith

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 29, 2018
St Leonards on Sea
Hi Steve, also in St Leonards just north of the station, has your bike arrived yet? Finding it quite a learning curve on mine but getting more used to it, at least the weather is a bit drier and warmer now. Let me know if you're ever in need of a coffee we could get together and discuss e-bike refinements. Keith

Steve Bowles

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2018
St Leonards, England
Hi Steve, also in St Leonards just north of the station, has your bike arrived yet? Finding it quite a learning curve on mine but getting more used to it, at least the weather is a bit drier and warmer now. Let me know if you're ever in need of a coffee we could get together and discuss e-bike refinements. Keith
My bike is sitting in the garage waiting for an old-man saddle and bits to be installed by mobile bike serviceman. Which station are you referring to? I'm on Malmesbury Road. I'd like to get together. I'm thinking I'm going to have to build up my legs before I can do any serious trekking about, but I can't wait to go exploring the English countryside. I'm a Yank who's been here 15 years and I'm still basically a tourist.

MandoKeith

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 29, 2018
St Leonards on Sea
I have suddenly realised that we live, I think, in different St Leonards. Mine is St Leonards on Sea nr. Hastings yours is I think is somewhere else, rather a shame but I may make it to yours one day!!!