Hi, here's my little hot rod Tern duo

bobby-gg

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 8, 2018
Hello, newbie here and thought I'd share a conversion I've built up

Back story, I've been into bikes as long as I can remember and a few years back I picked up a tern duo on the cycle to work scheme for taking away in the campervan. It's a lovely bike, quite understated in black but has neat little touches such as an automatic two speed rear hub with coaster brake, pump in the seat post and built in mounts for luggage

Recently, after surgery my brother has been told to try and improve his fitness and turned up at my house on a cheap 2nd hand electric bike, nothing fancy think it's a viking or something, but once I'd had a go I thought it was great

So I've been watching gumtree, ebay etc and picked up a 2 year old but unused 24v coyote which I've transferred the battery and rack, pas, led display and front wheel onto the tern. My reckoning was I'd have everything to hand to do a straight swap.

It kinda worked, had to buy a new fork for the tern as the original one was only 75mm between drop outs and I'm now having problems with the battery not holding charge but the main problem was traced to the 5 magnet pas ring was broken and missing the sensor, I knocked up an 8 magnet one out of a bit of number plate and some Neodymium magnets and now it's running nicely.

I've been trying to sort out the battery by balance charging off my BA6 charger, but if the worse comes to the worse I'll upgrade it to a 36v battery and controller for more capacity

Anyway hope you like it.

Rob

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaz and anotherkiwi

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi welcome
Nice project you have going on there :)