Hi I'm Rob, I live near Stafford in England but I also live part of the year in Lanzarote

Wanderer

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2016
Stafford
I have a Cyclomatic 12v 10ah electric bike which needs a new battery there are so many out there but finding the right size with the polarity on the right side is proving very difficult can anyone help ?

D

Deleted member 4366

It's a 5 minute job to swap from one polarity to the other.

Wanderer

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2016
Stafford
It's a 5 minute job to swap from one polarity to the other.
Hi strange because I got this reply from autoclub2015 on eBay

Hi,
We feel sorry to tell you.The polarity can’t be changed.And please see it carefully to avoid buy something doesn’t fit your bike.Any problem please feel free to contact us.Have a nice day.

mw1

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2014
Hull, E.Yorks
I have a Cyclomatic 12v 10ah electric bike which needs a new battery there are so many out there but finding the right size with the polarity on the right side is proving very difficult can anyone help ?
Hi & welcome to the forum.
As D8veh says it is easy to change the polarity of the connections, tho I'd think a tad longer than 5mins :)
It is a 24v battery, not a 12v, Fish type. You can check the polarity of the original by switching it on & putting a DVM across the output terminals on the bottom. You can also check any new battery like this. I think most will be the same, but always check 1st.
If the polarity is the other way round you can alter the connector on top of the controller housing either by turning it round, or resoldering the wires. I wouldn't dismantle any new battery as you will almost certainly invalidate the warranty.
Any more questions, feel free to ask :)

Regards, Mark

You may want to think about upping to 36v, it is well worth it!
Search the forum for more info.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

autoclub2015 doesn't know what he's talking about.

To change the battery, it's 4 screws to get the bottom off, two more screws inside the bottom piece to get at the terminals, swap them over, reassemble 6 screws. I'll bet anybody that I can do it in 5 minutes.

There's another way that doesn't involve the battery: Take the 4 screws out of the plate that gives access to the controller, pull the controller out, cut the two battery wires, cross them over and solder them back together, insulate them.

In most cases, the polarity will be correct already. These procedures only need to be done if you're unlucky.

A 36v battery makes a big difference to power and range if either of those are important to you. If you're happy with the power at the moment, stick with 24V.

Reactions: Wanderer

mw1

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2014
Hull, E.Yorks
To change the battery, it's 4 screws to get the bottom off, two more screws inside the bottom piece to get at the terminals, swap them over, reassemble 6 screws. I'll bet anybody that I can do it in 5 minutes.
Hi D8veh,
Nobody would doubt that :)

Mark

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Search for beastmatic, is dead long live the beastmatic, 20 mph etc.

D

Deleted member 4366

Motors don't care about voltage. You can run them on 100v and they won't blow, though the Cyclamatic would be very inefficient at 100v. Have a look for Youtube videos of 48v Cyclamatics.

Wanderer

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2016
Stafford
Motors don't care about voltage. You can run them on 100v and they won't blow, though the Cyclamatic would be very inefficient at 100v. Have a look for Youtube videos of 48v Cyclamatics.
To be honest I'm completely confused I have been told I can increase the ah to say 15 but the 24v has to stay the same unless I change the motor is changed have seen some YouTube vids on 48v Cyclomatics which are great but really all I want to do is replace my battery which is dying to another maybe a bit stronger battery. The other problem I have is that the bike is in Lanzarote and bringing batteries over here is not easy with a lot of airlines

mw1

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2014
Hull, E.Yorks
So even though I have a 24v 10ah battery I could upgrade to a 36v ? I thought this may blow the motor
I've been running a cyclamatic power plus at 36v for several months & several hundred miles, using a stock controller, with no problems at all.
Mark

Wanderer

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2016
Stafford
Hi mw1
Thanks for your reply is your bike the one with the silver fish seat post battery and was the original battery 24v 10 ah ? If so it sounds promising also if possible could you let me have the link to where you bought it much obliged Rob

mw1

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2014
Hull, E.Yorks
Hi mw1
Thanks for your reply is your bike the one with the silver fish seat post battery and was the original battery 24v 10 ah ? If so it sounds promising also if possible could you let me have the link to where you bought it much obliged Rob
Hi.
Yes mine is the silver fish type that fits behind the seat post, & yes it was 24v.
This is the one I bought

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221906004286

Hope this helps

Mark

Wanderer

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2016
Stafford
Thanks Mark
Strange I tried this seller and the reply I got was
Hello,
Thanks for your attention.
I'm sorry we don't have the case with 24v 10a battery,
This battery is 36v, it can not be used for your motor, it will be burned.
Best regards,

Also did it fit straight on without changing the post etc and is the performance any better
Thanks Rob

mw1

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2014
Hull, E.Yorks
Thanks Mark
Strange I tried this seller and the reply I got was
Hello,
Thanks for your attention.
I'm sorry we don't have the case with 24v 10a battery,
This battery is 36v, it can not be used for your motor, it will be burned.
Best regards,

Also did it fit straight on without changing the post etc and is the performance any better
Thanks Rob
Yes it was a direct fit, though always check the polarity 1st, as explained earlier in this thread.
The Bafang motor fitted to power pluses seems to be able to handle the extra voltage no problem. Mine doesn't even get particularly warm.
As far as performance goes, I get about 24mph on the flat, with no assistance/hindrance from the wind.
Torque is still a bit lacking, but modding the controller is something I would leave for now until you learn a bit more (no offence intended ):)
Range wise, I can get about 20 miles without pedalling, more with pedalling, but have never run it flat like that.
Mark :)

Wanderer

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2016
Stafford
Thanks Mark, I have checked the polarity and it's ok. Will give this a go maybe ask you in future about modding !! Thanks for all your help
Rob

mw1

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2014
Hull, E.Yorks
Thanks Mark, I have checked the polarity and it's ok. Will give this a go maybe ask you in future about modding !! Thanks for all your help
Rob
No problem Rob. I have about 2 & a half years experience with these bikes, and am more than willing to help whenever I can :)
Mark

Wanderer

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2016
Stafford
No problem Rob. I have about 2 & a half years experience with these bikes, and am more than willing to help whenever I can :)
Mark
Hi Mark
Here I am again in sunny Lanzarote got the battery you recommended and it's working great thanks for all your help
Now my wife's bike has gone kaput she's got an urban mover we think the motor has gone in the back wheel as there is no power
Thanks again speak soon
Rob

Reactions: mw1
D

Deleted member 4366

we think the motor has gone in the back wheel
Not very likely unless something is obviously wrong with it. Mechanical noise, juddering and jamming is often caused by the controller or bad connection.