Hi there, thank you for the welcome!

TurkishKitty

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 1, 2018
I am one half of a pair of "twirlies", those of a certain age who are not allowed to catch the bus before a certain time..), we both have an e-bike. Bought nearly two years ago, we have moved a couple of times since then, and have not had time what with all the moving around, to actually ride the bikes. Ours came from Ideal World, Elife Natural, folding with 20 inch wheels. Finally we now find the time, and good enough weather to make use of them. My problem/query is this.. the rear wheel of one of the bikes is locked, will not move, and we can't figure out why. The other bike is fine. We have never ridden them up to now; and when we first unpacked them to check them over, about two years ago, both bikes' wheels turned as they should. Stored in a shed, we kept the batteries out and charged up. Read the manual, which says nothing about a locked wheel..so does anyone have any idea, if I've locked it accidentally, and if so, how does it unlock? The cogs are not turning on the back wheel. The chain appears to be fine. Any ideas or help gratefully received, thank you!

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi welcome
Strange issue unless of course some moisture has got in somewhere

I take it the brakes are free

Reactions: TurkishKitty

TurkishKitty

Aug 1, 2018
Hi Fat Rat,
The brakes are free and working.. The pedals do not move, so we are thinking its to do with the hub?..and the shed is dry so moisture is not an issue. Thank you however!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If the wheel doesn't turn issue may likely be inside the hub and more then likely a stuck clutch or damaged planetary gears.
Follow the hub motor cable from the axle and see if it has a joint in it, if so pull the plug apart and see if the wheel turns by hand if not the issue is likely a stuck clutch.
Let us know and we cna try to see if it can be remedied.

Reactions: TurkishKitty

TurkishKitty

Aug 1, 2018
If the wheel doesn't turn issue may likely be inside the hub and more then likely a stuck clutch or damaged planetary gears.
Follow the hub motor cable from the axle and see if it has a joint in it, if so pull the plug apart and see if the wheel turns by hand if not the issue is likely a stuck clutch.
Let us know and we cna try to see if it can be remedied.
Hi, yes, sounds like it could be the problem area. Hubby will have a look; if we're still (literally) stuck, I'll get back to you, thanks!

TurkishKitty

Aug 1, 2018
Re dampness, could be whats making it stick if thats the case as we've had them stored for nearly two years. Once this darn rain has stopped (would you like some down South??) we'll have a look. Thankyou folks!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Moisture damp if it has formed or got inside the hub then will rust and cause motor seizure.
They can be freed up but will entail opening of the hub if it is able to pried open.

TurkishKitty

Aug 1, 2018
Moisture damp if it has formed or got inside the hub then will rust and cause motor seizure.
They can be freed up but will entail opening of the hub if it is able to pried open.
O dear, hopefully thats not the case. They have never got wet, and the other bike is fine...