Hi - thinking about converting to ease a long commute

AndyFromTheBrac

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 30, 2017
Taunton
Morning folks!

I’ve been looking to pedelecs to ease a 7 mile (each way) commute which sees me getting to the office in a nice sweat even in subzero temperatures. We’ve limited facilities at the office so I’m thinking e bikes could be the way forward. My budget is sub-£1000. The commute is fairly flat along a canal towpath for the majority of the ride so needs an MTB or hybrid as it’s a little lumpy in places (not especially muddy however).

I’ve looked at a few bikes but not yet tried one out. The eco expedition is on offer at £689 at the moment and is leading my thinking. Also eyeing the Gtech e bike, Greenedge CS2, Falcon spark (bit fugly), cyclamatic fx3, or even convert my Giant roam... you can see my dilemma, there’s almost too much choice!

I need to jump in quickly as I return to work on Wednesday and would like something sorted by next weekend.

Thanks and Happy New Year guys!

Andy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4bound

Pedelecer
May 1, 2014
Neston
www.facebook.com
Morning folks!

I’ve been looking to pedelecs to ease a 7 mile (each way) commute which sees me getting to the office in a nice sweat even in subzero temperatures. We’ve limited facilities at the office so I’m thinking e bikes could be the way forward. My budget is sub-£1000. The commute is fairly flat along a canal towpath for the majority of the ride so needs an MTB or hybrid as it’s a little lumpy in places (not especially muddy however).

I’ve looked at a few bikes but not yet tried one out. The eco expedition is on offer at £689 at the moment and is leading my thinking. Also eyeing the Gtech e bike, Greenedge CS2, Falcon spark (bit fugly), cyclamatic fx3, or even convert my Giant roam... you can see my dilemma, there’s almost too much choice!

I need to jump in quickly as I return to work on Wednesday and would like something sorted by next weekend.

Thanks and Happy New Year guys!

Andy

Andy, I can’t advise you about those particular bikes but would urge you to try before you buy. You sound as if you have been a regular cyclist for a while, plus your route is fairly flat.In this case you may often be already riding above the cut off speed for a legal electric bike. This means you would be getting little assistance from the motor, but lugging around a much heavier bike. I learnt this years ago when I tried my wife’s electric bike to do my regular 12 mike commute. It was no quicker or easier, but very frustrating. Riding at the limit is very odd, due to the way power cuts off. Just below the limit you get assistance, then you come to a slight downhill and expect to accelerate, but suddenly need a lot more personal power input as the motor cuts out. It feels as if you have ridden into treacle. I’m not saying don’t get one but rather make sure you know what you are getting and that you will be happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
It seems to me that your Giant would make a good conversion. However, you're not going to get it done by next Wednesday. I have one conversion using a Panda Eco kit on a hybrid. It will run at the cut off speed (approx 17.5mph) in assist 3. It's not a particularly torquey motor, but sounds like you don't need that. Their Pro kit is here at £275:
https://www.pandaebikes.com/shop/conversion-kits/panda-250-pro-silver-ebike-kit/
You'd need a battery to go with it, they are here:
https://www.pandaebikes.com/shop/conversion-kits/panda-250-pro-silver-ebike-kit/
Any thing 10Ah or above would get your commute done both ways with capacity to spare. They are UK based so no extended delivery times.
Have a look at woosh here:
wooshbikes.co.uk/?karoo
As I understand it the Karoo is configured to be a light weight (in e bike terms) commuter. Woosh deliver the day after ordering and have good customer service. They also offer a good range of kits.

For commuting, a hub motor (front or rear) would suit you better than a mid drive. They seem to suffer less problems, mine have certainly been bullet proof.
What 4bound says is true. When the assist cuts off you do feel the extra weight of the bike. The knack is to learn to ride just below that cutoff so you glide along majestically enjoying the canalside flora and fauna, arriving refreshed, perhaps with a slight rosy glow:rolleyes::D
Good luck and may the E bike grin be with you!

Reactions: AndyFromTheBrac

AndyFromTheBrac

Dec 30, 2017
Taunton
Thanks for the quick replies guys, funnily enough I just had a look at that Woosh Karoo as you were posting (spooky). Looks nice and has a decent spec... also the Kudos Alamo looks very good too (or Stealth). You’re right about the conversion it’s going to take a little time & tinkering so a new bike is probably needed [emoji3]

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Well any excuse for a new toy (should read tool):rolleyes:. 7 miles each way should be a breeze. I'm a leisure cyclist and, since e biking, anything under 15 miles just doesn't feel like a ride.
Kudos are also well thought of on here and the alamo does look nice. For me, I'd like to see a disc brake at least on the front though. The extra stopping power balances the extra weight. That said one of my hybrids has a Magura HS11 on the front and handles Welsh hills no problems.
Using a kit, if all goes well, can be done in 4-5 hours. But there's always fettling to be done which only adds stress to a commute. Nice to do though 'cos you end up with a bike that you know inside out, and any niggles that do turn up you've got a fair chance of fixing.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Karoo and Stealth are of a road style bias design rather then bumpy off road tracks.
Greeedge CS2 might be worth leaving that alone.
Cyclamtic CX3 a better bike in all probability, many years ago on a few on here had the CX1 which appeared reasonable for the money.
If time allows in the future then the 350w China Yose kits from Germany are good value.

AndyFromTheBrac

Dec 30, 2017
Taunton
Hah the more I look into it the more seems to appear out of the woodwork!

So Alamo/Karoo if the terrain is fairly smooth. Towpath is probably at the top end of what they would deal with. I swapped my roams tyres for semi-road versions and it’s sometimes a bit skiddy on there (was just road use previously so not an issue).

Looks like there’s a kudos dealer in Weston which isn’t too far from me.

Also just realised my company does the cycle2work scheme and didn’t realise eBikes were included in that and that it’s not just restricted to Halfords stock; Happy days!