HiddenPower Brompton Friction Drive

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Interesting, but it won't work in the rain when the roller slips on the tyre all the time.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
yeah not interesting in london, but probably yes in paris.

I sent them an email asking for the price

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Nice find Superdove, a very clever solution and probably the only spare space on the Brompton to fit a drive without effecting the fold and any modifications to the frame.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Keppler on Endless sphere has developed a friction-drive kit, which he sells as The Commuter Booster. His one probably has a lot more power and battery options:
Commuter Booster
Cute idea, but I have a gut feeling that it will not take off that well, maybe ok for "indoor" road/off road riding :p

MS.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I asked them about the friction drive last year for my brompton. Their one is too big and not made to fit in the brompton triangle.
It's of course possible to customize it to have it work (that's what they recommended me) but it requires a fair bit of DIY to have it working on the Brompton.

superDove

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2011
Cheshunt, Herts. UK
Got a reply from their new product manager regarding the old enquiry. Here's some info:

Hope you are still interested in our product, and I answered some of your questions. 1) When the motor is off, there's no pedaling load. (one of our big strenghts!) 2) It also works on the wet pavement, and uphill very well 3) For UK 3 pin, I am sorry we provide the European type 2 pin only. I think you have to buy one. 4) For the product, we provide 1 year of guarantee. 5) We have European branch office for European customers as of this month. For EU customers like you, it will be delivered from Austria. And English exclusive distributors are on discussion. If you would like further information, please leave your email address with your question. Thanks!

bmacw

Just Joined
Apr 5, 2014
I've been in contact with them since Feb. And recently installed mine. Since this is one of the two post that comes up on google search. I would like to contribute some information, as it was very hard for me to get any details on the kit during my own research.

I received the unit with no instruction (they were still developing it, and I had that understanding before my purchase). It's pretty easy to install. So far it's been great. Only beef I had is they did not supply and additional cable to relocated the battery.
I was quoted an additional $40 to get the cable (w/ shipping cost).

A brake switch to cut-off the power would be nice as well. If you have the pedal assist (euro model) it won't be a problem.

I have the Korean, US version which does not have the hall effect sensor for pedal assist.

superDove

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2011
Cheshunt, Herts. UK
Thanks for sharing. What's the torque like?
Have you tried the roller for wet conditions?
Real world mileage use?
Noise levels?
Has the throttle got a spring return?
Does it negate the use of all six gears?
Cheers!

bmacw

Just Joined
Apr 5, 2014
Thanks for sharing. What's the torque like?
The rear wheel on the brompton is small enough so you can actually get the bike rolling without pedaling. But it's not enough torque (could be traction) to start quickly. So I find myself shifting to lower gear at traffic stop, so I can get start with my own power and get it going quicker.
That said, the motor is completely fine getting me up to speed, it just starts off a bit slow. As the rolling reistance gets lower, it picks up speed very quickly.
Have you tried the roller for wet conditions?
went through a couple of puddles, but not in the rain yet. Can't comment on this.
Real world mileage use?
Not enough time on the bike yet.
Noise levels?
The noise is there. Much quiter than I expected. Outdoor, it's drown out by the wind noice quickly.
Has the throttle got a spring return?
No it does not have return spring. In fact you really have to learn how to use it. When you are about to pull a full stop, you MUST remember to turn the throttle off. It's a safty factor I think. I noted this and suggested they should add a sensor at the brake level to cut off the power when the brake is pulled in. The motor will jerk and rattle when the tire is not moving. I've not dared to try test the limit of that by holding the wheel shut and run the motor.
Does it negate the use of all six gears?
I have a 6 speed reduced gear. I don't really use the hub gears (3) any more. Just toggling the other lever from high to low at stops is enough. Once the bike is at speed, the other gears are not really useful. I live in a really flat area, I only had to 'climb' a bridge over pass. Does not feel like the motor was struggling at all, partly because I had lots of momentum... Can tell
If you use the bike for communting only, 3 gears is probably enough. But I need my bike for touring too, and I plan on using it without the motor as well.

Reactions: superDove

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
very interesting and thanks for sharing.
do you mind me asking how much this kit costs
thank you

bmacw

Just Joined
Apr 5, 2014
very interesting and thanks for sharing.
do you mind me asking how much this kit costs
thank you
They quoted for $1000 USD + $85 for shipping, and I also have to pay the wire fee, because they don't accept other forms of payment.

I made a few videos to give you some ideas. One is bike pickup speed without me peddling. The other few, same setup, but with my assistant initially to get the bike up to speed.

Another video shows how the motor reacts free rolling the tire and when the brake is applied.

Last edited:
Reactions: superDove