Hill climber but cute/quirky?!

dearlouise

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 8, 2018
Hi *waves

I wonder if you could help me to identify which electric bike to buy. I've been to 3 bike shops, 1 mainstream & 2 independent and have received differing info/guidance. It's getting to the point where I feel LOST.

What I'm looking for is a bike to essentially replace my car for journeys up to about 5 miles. I live in a coastal town & due to the popularity of it, parking is a nightmare when popping around town - I've moved closer to work so I can walk because of crazy 'parking wars'. I'm also overweight & want to get back to a decent level of fitness, I figured an ebike could help with this. I used to snowboard & now I live by the sea, would love to SUP, sea kayak or even surf. The town has a few hills and I want a bike that can help me get up them without becoming a bucket of sweat. I'm female, so want a bike that's colourful or a little quirky. I drive a Toyota IQ & used to have a Nissan Cube (import) so you can imagine my vehicle style.

So far...

Independent shop 1; I tried a Trek ebike with a Bosch motor. It was fantastic, I was able to try it out & went up a hill very easily but it was £3000. I'd like to spend a maximum of £2000, but he told me I wouldn't get a bike as good as that for that price range. Also that there were no decent ebikes that were colourful etc so remove that from the wish list.

Mainstream shop; tried a Pendleton electric, what a waste of time that was. I was sweating buckets after trying a hill. It only seemed to help met go faster on the flat - which I don't want! It was also huge. The guy said a Carrera would be better - but it looked like a man's bike - so didn't go back (they didn't have any others).

Independent shop 3; looked at the Cube Elly, but decided it was way too big after sitting on it even with the saddle at the lowest point. I'm quite short (5'4"). But it was a huge bike in general. I found the Kalkhoff Sahel ideal in size (smaller wheels/compact), but after what Independent shop 1 said, should I avoid it due to the lack of Bosch motor?

If I could get one for £1500-£2000 that would be superb. Please help?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if you like a crank drive, the Santana CD may be worth a look:

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana-2018

it comes with 9-speed, automatic gear shift sensing, hydraulic brakes front and rear, 36V 15AH for around 50 mile range.

If you don't like changing gears that much, the Santana2 offers a totally relaxed ride.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana2

Its motor offers lots of torque, you can climb most hills without you having to change a gear.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
You're doing exactly the right thing in testing lots of bikes. You will eventually find the unique combination that is you and the bike you love to ride.
Where abouts are you? To save you travelling many more miles perhaps forum members could point you towards a reputable stockist with something quirky for you to try.
Roodog and Moustache both spring to mind... How quirky do you want to be?

dearlouise

Jun 8, 2018
You're doing exactly the right thing in testing lots of bikes. You will eventually find the unique combination that is you and the bike you love to ride.
Where abouts are you? To save you travelling many more miles perhaps forum members could point you towards a reputable stockist with something quirky for you to try.
Roodog and Moustache both spring to mind... How quirky do you want to be?
Holy Moly! The polka dot Roodogs are to die for!

• :D
Reactions: JuicyBike

dearlouise

Jun 8, 2018
Have been searching all afternoon... the more I browse the more contenders I find, after learning to compromise style with motor capability.

- Kalkhoff Agattu (not sure if would be too big)
- Kalkhoff Jubilee
- Kalkhoff Voyager
- Trek LM2 Plus (not sure of the battery being on the back?)
- Orbea Katu

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Independent shop 1; I tried a Trek ebike with a Bosch motor. It was fantastic, I was able to try it out & went up a hill very easily but it was £3000. I'd like to spend a maximum of £2000, but he told me I wouldn't get a bike as good as that for that price range.
If I could get one for £1500-£2000 that would be superb. Please help?
You will be able to find a bosch powered bike for under £2000.
It may not be 'as good' as the £3000 one, but in general, that extra grand is going to mean things like super duper brakes and better suspension for things like serious mountain biking. If all you want it for is getting around, you probably won't notice or need these 'improvements'.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Independent shop 3; looked at the Cube Elly, but decided it was way too big after sitting on it even with the saddle at the lowest point. I'm quite short (5'4"). But it was a huge bike in general. I found the Kalkhoff Sahel ideal in size (smaller wheels/compact), but after what Independent shop 1 said, should I avoid it due to the lack of Bosch motor?
Which size frame did they offer? For example, Cube say that the Elly Cruise Hybrid is available in 42, 46, 50, 54. And the Elly Ride Hybrid in 46, 50, 54.

https://www.cube.eu/en/2018/e-bikes/trekking/comfort/elly/cube-elly-cruise-hybrid-400-pistachionblue-2018-easy-entry/

I too am looking for my partner... Similar height.

The Sahel has an Impulse motor - there have been quite a few questions over them. But I certainly didn't feel any difficulty in choosing a non-Bosch motor (Sync Drive / Yamaha) when I bought my own bike.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the OP is only 5ft4, the Oxygen may be too big for her.

Reactions: oyster

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Woosh Crusa has retro look.