HMRC Invalid relief

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Today I contemplated buying a 20” e-trike for my wife who at 84 has balance difficulties and cannot ride a normal bike, firstly I was after a folding 20” e-trike from Yorvik cycles in York. First disappointment I found was that despite the trike’s folding frame there was no way it would pass through a standard door way as its wheel width is 80cm, so I thought perhaps to lay the folded trike on its side so that its 20” wheels would pass through — again no way because then the folded stem with folded wheel attached was too long! Yorvik cycles on their website advertised that VAT relief is available for qualifying customers under the invalidity scheme. Initially when offering to buy the bike on-line I stated my wish to avail myself of the VAT relief offer then Second disappointment was I was informed that HMRC no longer offered this service for trikes,
In all not a good day was had with the hope of an e-trike having had to be abandoned.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Today I contemplated buying a 20” e-trike for my wife who at 84 has balance difficulties and cannot ride a normal bike, firstly I was after a folding 20” e-trike from Yorvik cycles in York. First disappointment I found was that despite the trike’s folding frame there was no way it would pass through a standard door way as its wheel width is 80cm, so I thought perhaps to lay the folded trike on its side so that its 20” wheels would pass through — again no way because then the folded stem with folded wheel attached was too long! Yorvik cycles on their website advertised that VAT relief is available for qualifying customers under the invalidity scheme. Initially when offering to buy the bike on-line I stated my wish to avail myself of the VAT relief offer then Second disappointment was I was informed that HMRC no longer offered this service for trikes,
In all not a good day was had with the hope of an e-trike having had to be abandoned.
Have you no garage? Make the problem "bit" fold-able?Or an outside "hut" that might allow a wider door. Or store outside, chained up (motor bike quality chains) (even when in a building!) covered well, with a good burglar alarm and outside CCTV? I do that for my normal e-bike and I hardly ever use my garage for it! It has saved both my e-bikes for over 7 years!!
I am also sure, my ideas are only a few of the many possibilities.
Don't give up....
Andy

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Hi ya Andy, - So many choices? i do have a double garage but one side is full of ‘toot’ not looked at since we came 14 years ago, the other side has five motorcycles and a m/c lift platform....my fault I know but I have an additional prob, I’m a hoarder!

Problem might be over as I’ve found a BB e-Trike on the bay and have made a bid on it, rear wheel spacing on that is 65cm instead of 80 so it will go through standard door ways - definately reduce speed on bends plus care in wind. Bidding ends in five days so here’s hoping.
Yes I could do with cctv too, another roundtuit!
If I get this bike then I’ll also get a police approved steel lockable cycle bin www.asgardsss.co.uk able to take both bikes. I’m certainly not giving up - even though shwmbo may not use it much.

Jim

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveB1262

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi ya Andy, - So many choices? i do have a double garage but one side is full of ‘toot’ not looked at since we came 14 years ago, the other side has five motorcycles and a m/c lift platform....my fault I know but I have an additional prob, I’m a hoarder!

Problem might be over as I’ve found a BB e-Trike on the bay and have made a bid on it, rear wheel spacing on that is 65cm instead of 80 so it will go through standard door ways - definately reduce speed on bends plus care in wind. Bidding ends in five days so here’s hoping.
If I get this bike then I’ll also get a police approved steel lockable cycle bin www.asgardsss.co.uk able to take both bikes. I’m certainly not giving up - even though shwmbo may not use it much.

Jim

Jim
I like the way you write, I feel as if I am sitting next to you!! Thanks.
Do buy one of those rear lights that fits under most modern saddles, and has a loud alarm as well with a little remote control! It will make a potential thief soil his pants!!!
Keep us all informed...
Regards
Andy

SteveB1262

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
VAT relief only applies to items specifically designed for the disabled OR has been specially adapted to meet your disabled needs. That means an off the shelf vehicle be it trike, bicycle or ebike is not eligible for VAT relief. I looked into when I bought my first ebike a month ago and got absolutely no joy whatsoever.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
I hear what you say - I asked yorvic cycles for it BECAUSE THEY ADVERTISED IT, no skin off my nose because the trike having an 80cm track did not suit me at all.

Jim

Reactions: SteveB1262

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Hi Andy, Thanks! Perhaps its the way I was eaten and brought up - instead of being brought up at Eton. During the last two weeks I’ve bought so many small things from fleabay I’ve forgotten what they were because some have not yet arrived - but unless my memory is failing me (happens frequently at my age) I seem to remember ordering said tail light despite moaning that space looked insufficient. I’ll certainly keep you informed of my progress so that you can avoid what I do.

Oh, my Cateye thingy has a tiny magnet for fitting onto a spoke that combines with a kind of transmitter fitted to the fork leg - have you any idea what its purpose is? My thinking was that distance travelled, speed and altitude were each measured via an onboard GPS signal. Fitting instructions say that distance between that tx and the read out head on the h/bar must not exceed 24”, on the Quartz bike it can’t be done because that distance coincides with the centreline of the tire sidewall... Q? What data would remain readable with this gizmo NOT fitted.
MHYG

Jim

Last edited:

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
Fitting instructions say that distance between that tx and the read out head on the h/bar must not exceed 24”, on the Quartz bike it can’t be done because that distance coincides with the centreline of the tire sidewall
You must have incredibly high handle bars or a massively huge wheel - is it a penny farthing?

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Oh yes, its a bog standard Quarts with NO modifications! Quartz bikes do have very long stems (13” between the h/bar knuckle and hinge point to compensate for their very low frame.
The Batribike Quartz is IMO the best and most beautiful folding bike yet produced.

Jim

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Oh, my Cateye thingy has a tiny magnet for fitting onto a spoke that combines with a kind of transmitter fitted to the fork leg - have you any idea what its purpose is? My thinking was that distance travelled, speed and altitude were each measured via an onboard GPS signal.
There's no GPS, the transmitter sends a pulse every time the magnet passes, meaning you've travelled the circumference of the wheel. You set the circumference of your wheel in the Cateye head unit at the outset using the supplied instructions.

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
I was thinking of Quartz bikes which look like this -
download.jpeg
but if it looks like this one -
download (1).jpeg
then you could find/make a bracket to hold the computer lower down the stem or on the top of the frame near where it joins the head tube.

You could try it on the handlebars first though : an extra few inches probably won't make much difference - just put the magnet thingy as near to the wheel rim as you can whist keeping the magnet to transmitter distance within specification.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If it's like the second one above, you should still be able to use the Catey Velo computers. There's one of my bikes with a Cateye Velo 5 shown in this link

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Flecc, Thank you for the clarification, I don’t want to damage the bike in any way by improvising so will leave it off. Thanks again.

Jim

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
My bike is indeed like the second picture but in the Cateye kit there is no interconnecting cable like in your example.

Jim

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My bike is indeed like the second picture but in the Cateye kit there is no interconnecting cable like in your example.

Jim
Then it's the wireless one Jim, the transmitter radios the pulses to the head unit.

The 24" is probably the maximum distance that the pulse transmission is reliable. You could try it further to see if it works or buy one of the wired ones like that on my bike, otherwise just leave it off as you mentioned.

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Thank you flecc, If I were to leave it off there would not be much left with speed and distance out of commission.

I’ll give it more thought though, or maybe look for better but not too expensive model.

Jim

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Have you no garage?
Comment from sales lady at a development (new build part of Winchester Barracks) a few years ago. My wife asked why there were no garages. Answer: "Well, this is a nice development, and the kind of things people do in garages aren't nice".

• :D
Reactions: Eagleowl and flecc

SteveB1262

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
I hear what you say - I asked yorvic cycles for it BECAUSE THEY ADVERTISED IT, no skin off my nose because the trike having an 80cm track did not suit me at all.

Jim
No criticism intended start all. I was just trying to clarify the matter for anyone who may be contemplating the same. The shop was wrong, in some respects, because it isn't an automatic entitlement even for the disabled but they still have the discretion to modify the goods, no matter how small the mod, and claim back the VAT and refund you the VAT if HMRC accept the claim. It seems they just weren't interested in doing that for whatever reason and that is poor service.